Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rswolff

Devicenet

19 posts in this topic

Have an older 1747-SDN module version 2.005. Cannot get RSNetworx to configure module. Additionally module appears to be in run mode even when Command Word Bit 0 is off, or when SLC is in Program mode. Is module cooked or is this different then the later revisions of the module? Module has a Scanlist and is returning error messages (there are no other nodes connected to the unit so this makes sense). Thanks, Bob

So, there's no Error 80 in the sequence of status messages scrolling on the module ? That *is* weird, and would be the best evidence that the module is damaged. What do you mean saying that RSNetworx won't configure the module ? Are you connected via a network interface and there is some kind of identity or functional problem when you click on the 1747-SDN module icon in RSNetworx ? One step you might try is to send it a Reset Service (service code 0x05) using the Class Instance editor. Leave the Class/Instance/Attribute at 1/1/1 and send a 1 as the data. This should clear the scanlist and reset the module to Node 63 / 125 kb.

I believe problem is that scanner is in Slave Mode. I get the following from the front led 01 75 10 72 12 72 The module is configured as Node 10 (I can change using the Node Commissioning Tool). However, Bit 0 does not place the module into IDLE as I would have expected. I think this is either due to the fact that it is in Slave mode, or an anomoly with ver 2.005 when in Slave mode. I can't get AB to answer as my support has expired. 2k to answer the question is too steep for my small business to do. I average 2 questions a year...that would be $1k/per. Kinda high for a "no it doesn't work" answer. The Reset does not work for this revision. You need rev4 too clear the scanlists in a SDN module. Everything else in the command register works correctly. The summary does not indicate that the scanner is a slave, however, again this may be due to the revision. yes, I am using RSNetworx and a PCD card. When I attempt to modify the Scanlist or any of the module parameters, I get an error resource not available. This normally indicates that the module is in Run mode, which it appears to be. I purchased the unit from another contractor who removed from an operating machine. Unit appeared to be functioning properly, so I believe their is simply something I am not aware of in the earlier revision. I would attempt to flash the unit to an updated revision, however, I cannot even get AB to answer whether this is possible. As I cannot find any method to reconfigure the module, I may just take a hammer to it and send it back to AB. Next customer gets GE or Siemens. Their support is non-existent also, but at least I know that up front. bob Edited by rswolff

Version 2.05 was shipped on Series B hardware, but it's possible that you have a Series A module that was upgraded. The Series A had a vestigial DH485 port on the front. I probably couldn't find a list of "codes that function slightly differently from ten years ago" document, but the obvious ones that appear to me is that your module is displaying Error 75 (empty scanlist or no slaves responding) instead of the expected Error 80 (Idle Mode), and is showing Error 72 (slave not responding to I/O commands) instead of Error 78 (slave not responding to explicit messages), which modern scanners based on the DeviceNet Master Library (DML) do. I know that Slave Mode was introduced in version 2.0 and a number of fixes to Slave Mode were incorporated into 2.005, but my copy of RSNetworx for DeviceNet (6.0) shows the Slave Mode button grayed out in the Module tab. There's another way to clear the NVRAM of the 1747-SDN; use the Flush Memory bit. Page 26 of the Installation Instructions describes this method of turning on only output bit 02 to flush the scanlist and other nonvolatile settings (MAC ID, Data Rate) of the module. I think that the Reset Service operation via a local network connection was one of the "DML" library functions introduced in V4 firmware. The good news is that ControlFlash is very good at installing the boot, init, and main flash firmware for any of the older 1747-SDN modules. You don't need to manually install them or worry about using the manual flash upgrade tools to upgrade in phases. Since you're dealing with secondhand hardware and what sounds like an unsatisfactory commercial relationship with Rockwell, you might have to find the firmware upgrade file through another route. I'm sure that some other members of this Forum have paid-up Support contracts.

Looks like ver 6.02 firmware is a free download under Resource Kits.. http://www.software.rockwell.com/support/d...ail.cfm?ID=3179 1747_sdn_6_002.zip

Excellent, TJ, thanks for posting that. I was initially going to offer Bob the firmware directly, but then I saw his opinion of the value of Rockwell technical support and figured he wouldn't want it from me. ;) Edited by Ken Roach

rswolff - I know it can get very frustrating, especially working with second hand parts, but you really refrain from making negative comment about Rockwell or any other companies products when you are looking for help. You will find many of them voluntarily participate in the forums and will be very helpful. I am assuming that you do not have a support contract which makes it much harder to get answers, though not impossible, you just have to ask nicely and they will still help you when you call them. After your problem is solved, then you may bash away. And no, I don't work for Rockwell. Note Siemens - I've never used on Devicenet. GE - I've used and would take AB any day as far as setting up the network. Both run fine after that. Edited by TWControls

Just add to TW's comments rswolff - you probably did not know that Ken works for Rockwell and helping people like you in his spare time. Ken was trying to help you and you started bitching about support for an used hardware you bought someplace. The bottom line - you did not pay A-B for hardware, you did not pay for support, why you expect a phone support from A-B? And "yes" I work for Rockwell.

More to the point; did the Flush Scanner function work ?

Well I was trying to put it to him nicely but I think Contr_Conn put it much better And rswolff. I am not trying attack you here or anything like that. But if users make these guys or any other companies staff mad on this or any forum, they will quit participating in these forums. I guarantee you they don't get a dime for being here. Won't hurt me too bad, I have a support contract and it just means I would have to call them if someone on this forum couldn't answer my question. But for you, this is the only chance you have at getting help for them. And while I'm at it, you should really consider getting a support contract with them. Yes, it seems like a lot of money, but how many hours do you have in trying to get this module to work? How much is you time worth? Chances are: Hours * Time> Rockwell Support Cost. Just something to think about Also there are other companies that help on this forum so this does not just go for Rockwell

Wow, $2000 for support. I just read this thread a little closer. Go talk to your distributor. I don't think it should be that high. I get the feeling some of your software is out of date and that is the cost of the software up to date and the support but could be wrong. If you do it yearly and don't let it lapse, it should be much less. But even at $2000, I think you are probably getting close to the $1000 for you first incident of the year. Edited by TWControls

Thanks much, I had looked and had missed this. I would imagine if I can get this loaded it will fix the problem. Bob

I would need updated support for everything from Panelbuilder to RSView32, to ContolLogix. My past experience has shown that I waste as much time with Tech Support as figuring out myself. Normally its related to specific high-end questions and not how to change the color of a button in panelbuilder. The first couple of tiers of tech support normally only read the information to me thats available in the knowledgebase, and have no or little actual field experience. I average 2-3 questions a year. This is an odd ball case. I picked up the module for nearly nothing, and wanted to use it for some testing and demo's. I could get a ver 4 or 6 on ebay for about $300 so you're right, this was not cost effective. Other than I don't like not knowing why its not working, I wouldn't be spending the time. AB would probably have told me to upgrade the firmware anyway. For those interested, you cannot clear the memory either by the Class Instance Editor, or by the command word until revision 4. And thanks to all who answered. I'll post the outcome. Bob

Where do you get that info about the NVRAM not being clearable using the Flush Scanlist bit until verson 4 of the firmware ? I was reading an extensive 1747-SDN firmware history and the Flush Scanlist description was in version 2.0, back in 1996.

This revision of the SDN cannot be Flashed to 6.002 using ControlFlash. I now pronounce the module as useless. So couldn't AB have told me this without a support contract? no offense to the AB guys...but I recommend AB to all my customers...because I believe the support was better.....so why penalize the very integrators trying to push your h/w and s/w? bob

Once again let me see if I can help you with stating your post Translation - I seem to be having trouble getting my SDN to flash to 6.002. I am wondering if perhaps there is a hardware limitation. Does anyone have any experience flashing these modules OR I have found out that my USED SDN can't be flashed because it (whatever reason). I'm such an idiot, I keep buying used parts trying to save money and end up getting burnt everytime. Will I ever learn Kindness and professionalism will get you much further here. And like I said earlier, employees of the companies whose products we use are here voluntarily. Take you grips up with your distributor and don't ask them for answers here. You may not want their help, but a lot of use appreciate it. For Rockwell grips call 414-382-2000 or email them.

yes I'm an idiot for getting this module...it cost me $50....for a demo unit and for testing it was worth the risk.....yes, I apologize to anyone I offended...it was not intended as the persons answering are spending their well earned time trying to help me....I'm sure they could find better things to do...I do appreciate it.....as for the Flash problem...ControlFlash indicates that this (the 2.005 SDN module) does not support Flashing with this tool. If theres another tool, I'm open to try...its also still possible that the problem is tied to the module not being in IDLE, which still brings me to the original problem. Bob 2CBF213B8E2687AB85256AFB0063DAC9.htm

If I have offended anyone I really really do apologize....AB support has always been (except one time) as helpful as possible. I had always found the persons on the other end of the phone willing to help...same as now... I'm not faulting the Engineers or the technical staff...I just disagree with the new support policies. bob

Just for later problems you may have, look at my last post in THIS thread. All you have to do is be nice and they will help you. No they will not do it repetitively and yes they will urge you to get a contract, but in time I think you will find a contract could be very useful. As for this issue, start playing nice. Trust me, you have (or had) someone who is very knowledgeable on these helping you. Edit - I started writing this before your last post, but thats what I am talking about. Edited by TWControls