Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JasonMonette

Rslinx 2.42 Will Load In The Task Bar, But Freeze When Clicked

32 posts in this topic

I am trying to get RSLINX to work. I installed on my xp system, activated it. It loads in the task bar, but when i click on it, it opens and then freezes. any idea on why this is or how i can fix it? I have to be with a customer tomorrow and I can't figure it out. Jason

Just a thought but you can download RsLinx 2.5 from Rockwell's Web site, might fix the problem using the newer version. Edited by TechJunki

I have had a few odd problems with xp and the latest rockwell software. A clean install of xp seems to work best since uninstall does not seem to get rid of all the bits and pieced from older versions. There are also some compatibilty issues with older versions and SP2. For CPR6 there was a set of patches. I do not believe that products before CPR6 are officially supported under SP2. Mixing products from different CPR versions is a crap shoot at best.

It starts up fine in the task bar, but as soon as i click it, the window opens, but that is it, there is an hour glass for a mouse pointer and it just stays that way...please help

http://support.rockwellautomation.com/webu....50.00&PR=0&EQ= You may have to register, but it is a free registration and download.

Search for 2 files named harmony.* and delete them. they are in RSCOMMON folder.

Ok, I think I am starting to chip away at this. using the linx launch control panel, When I start linx as a service, that is when it locks. If i start is a program, and not a service it boots up fine. any ideas?

What operating system are you using, and service pack?? You may want to browse through this technote... http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...5256F4600627FAC

Have you ran the firewall configuration utility? Doesn't really sound like this would help but it couldn't hurt. When running RsLinx as an application can you see devices in your RsWho?

No I haven't, where is that located? And yes, everything works fine when Linx is ran as an ap, you just have to keep it open. Still can't figure out why it won't run as a service....

If it works as an application then that is not the problem. Do you have a support contract. This will probably be quicker for tech support to help you out with

No i don't have a support contract, I got a great deal on the software, but that was with out support.

Did you follow Techjunki's link and download RsLinx 2.50 and try that? You don't need a support contract to download that Plus Contr_Conn suggestion about deleting the harmony files. They can cause various problems Edited by TWControls

I too have had issues with RsLinx. I found the 2 Harmony files, but what do they do?

Harmony files are cache database for current connections. They let you see devices you saw last time you went online. You can safely remove them - RSlinx will re-create them next time you start linx.

Apparently my serial # is not in their database..... could some one download the file and email it me? Edited by JasonMonette

Make sure you selected lite version, it does not require serial number. For other versions serial number and last name it registered should match. I guess you realized that you should have support contract... You bought car without gas...

as i said before, it works as an ap, so I am able to work. i am just curious why it won't work as a service....

Works for now but I'm thinking that certain communications methods require RsLinx to run as a service. You really need to get it to work that way. Like Contr_Conn said, make sure you are selecting RsLinx Lite when downloading. It will not prompt you for a serial number.

Ok, I reformatted my HD. Tried to install both 2.42and 2.43 after I installed service pack 2. Same problem. Restored my computer before Service pack 2 and installed 2..42, and it works! I am going to try installing 2.43 then service pack 2 and see if that makes a difference. I will keep you posted..... Edited by JasonMonette

2.43 works, installing rest of AB software, will report back when I have everything up and running with service pack 2!!!!

Well that was the problem. I installed all the Rockwell software BEFORE service pack 2. Then installed service pack 2 and the rest of the windows updates and everything works. I am glad!!! Thanks to everyone for all their help and suggestions!!!!

Ok are to back to the same problem. It came back after I installed my drivers for either bluetooth or my HD audio. I did a restore and will install them one at time to see which is the cause of the problem. Once I know that, hopefully someone knows how to work around out it. Thanks