Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plcnovice

Cables For Dh+ Network

5 posts in this topic

Hi All In order to communication SLC 5/04 processors over DH+ network, do i have to use the recommended belden cables or any belden cable should do the work? If i dont have the recommended belden cable what would be my best bet?

I would recommend getting the specified Belden cable. Mixed results with other brands that were supposed to be equivilanet especially if using higher speeds. Check out ABs wesbsite for some installation guides for proper layout and termination instructions.

I wouldn't use anything other than the specified Belden cable in a real-life production environment. The Belden part number is 9463. Manufacturing is enough of a headache as it is, you don't need to be introducing any extra variables into the system. Now with that said, if this is just a benchtop test setup you are building, use whatever you want. I have stuff in my basement connected with RIO and DH+, hooked up with old prox cords.. Works fine, but I'm going very short distances (10' to 20') and this is obviously not a noisy environment. And it is all just "for fun", no safety or economic concerns at stake!

I've used everything from CAT5 to 18G MTW in a pinch w/o a problem. For longer runs (more than 100-200 ft) I would recommend the Belden, but if you don't have access to it, any good data cabling should work. For short runs almost anything will work. Stay at 57k baud if your not running Belden until you're operational. If you want after that you can try the higher bauds. Don't forget to use the termination resistors. Remember however, that if you have a problem, AB will probably make you change to Belden before continuing.

CommScope 9022 is an approved equivalent to Belden 9463.