Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

Resume - Job Description

8 posts in this topic

One of our employees is updating his resume and asked me what he should put down for what he does. His job pretty much consist of entering his part information on a Panelview, then running the machine and checking parts. He can also do basic troubleshooting. Any Ideas

[Kind of Machine] Machine Operator

Thats pretty much what I told him but he was looking for something that said he was somewhat familiar with automated machinery.

Exactly how familiar is he with the Automated Machinery? He could put down [Type of machine] machine operator and add his familiarity to the roll description and responibilities section.

Based on the job description given, saying he's somewhat familiar with automated machinery is like saying that the checkout clerk at the supermarket is somewhat familiar with barcode scanners.

Haha.. well stated :) I would need elaboration on "checking parts" (knowledge of metrology?) and "basic troubleshooting". (mechanical/electrical maintenance skills?) but other than that, the fellow sounds like your basic machine operator. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Is he trying to get into the maintenance department?

Well then, Automated [Kind of Machine] Machine Operator. However, most managers now days realize that an automated machine operator is a button pusher. I'm not disparaging the job, just that its a fact that operating high tech equipment is not always that difficult. There was a time when someone thought that all of our CNC operators around here should be paid more becasue the CNC machines were complicated and required advanced skills. Well the fact is that could be said of a machinist, of a CNC programmer, but not necessarily of a production CNC line operator - he just sticks a part in a fixture and pushes the go button, he doesn't know how to program the cutting path or how to choose a tool or cutting speeds. Something is wrong when a button pusher is regarded as higher than the skilled machinist running a manual mill or lathe. A maintenance machinist with a knee mill and manual lathe will tackle problems that will wilt most production operators. Eventually that manager got his head straightened out. Your friend will be better off to place a no nonsense job title and then list specific skills that are marketable to a prospective employer rather than try to make up a fancy machine operator name. He should list his troubleshooting skills and any print reading, machinist, metrology, and quality control skils he also has. Edited by Alaric

Very true. I remember reading resumes where applicants said they were CNC programmers when in fact they were just CNC operators. Heck, I don't know what I'm trying to help him out for anyway. He is a great employee and would hate to loose him. Where most would come to us and say their machine is broke, he usually comes to us and tells us exactly what is wrong with the machine. Half the time, he just comes in and signs for the part he needs and replaces it himself.