Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

Panel Warning Labels

10 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out what type of warning labels people normally put on a panel. We are adding arc flash protection labels to our panels but everyone is putting their 2 cents in on other warnings that should be put on it. Before too long our panels are going to look like the advertising on the side of a race car. What warnings do you feel are actually necessary?

Well let me ask this. Do any of you normally put any type of labels on your panels?

We only but the electrical arc flash label and we have a really nice panel nameplate which has the voltage and amperage of the panel on it. I belive this is required per NPFA 79.

Same thing, only we add two more, one is the machine number, and the other is a generic lock-out/tag-out sticker that no one ever looks at. The Lout/Tout sticker gives you no specific information on the machine.

This is the one I am working on. Of course an OEM couldn't do this. What type of lockout information do you give?

Its just a generic sticker for any machine. It gives the basic steps on how to lock out a machine. Such as: 1. Shutoff all power sources. 2. Lockout all power sources. 3. Verify. Nothing specific for the machine itself. It's my opinion that if you're going to put a sticker on it, make it specific for the machine.

We give specifics for lockout if there is more than one disconnect, but currently we do not put the procedure on the disconnect, we only label it as the main disconnect.

We're in the process of putting a couple new lines in the plant and one of the panels has a nice tag next to the disconnect about external power sources (interlocks). We have a lot of handshaking between cabinets and I thought it was nice to have the warning even thought the yellow wires are there too. Luke

Could you take a picture of it and post it?

we put warning tags over the main switch, 'caution 480V'. we are a consulting firm, so every job has different signs they like, but that is the most common.