Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnrob

Rs Logix- Win98 Or Xp

8 posts in this topic

HI Everyone, I am using Rs Logix 6.30 cpr6 and Panel Builder 32 version 03.82.00 on Win 98 os. My laptop is showing signs of age, and need to purchase new. Will there be any hitches going to XP, and should I use professional? I am maintaing a number of old SLC 500 processors and a few new ones. Also, is there any software comparable to Rs Wire, now that AB no longer carries it? Thank you very much John

you shouldn't have any problems but I would absolutely go with XP Pro. PIC driver can be a pain, you may want to upgrade to a UIC. don't know about RSWire. Edited by jstolaruk

But make sure you try to get one with a full blown com port. My previous on did not and it became a real pain somethings would work with a usb to db9 converter and some would not.

RSWire was actually a 'Tweaked' version of Promis-e from ECTI in Wisconsin. They allowed Rockwell to brand label Promis-e. In fact the RSWire package was an older version of the current shipping Promise-e. The folks at ECTI will be able to help you http://www.ecti.com/ Hope this helps.

Don't forget to install the firewall patches for XP service pack 2. If you are still in support you may want to consider going with CPR7. I would ditto the previous comments about dumping the PIC for a UIC and trying to get a unit with a real serial port. Floppy drive can be handy as well at times for older files and old style software activation. DVD burner is not a bad idea to consider either as files continue to get larger and larger. About the only other thing that comes to mind is that I recall reading that the A series of PCMK cards does not work with some of the newer laptops due to protocall change over the years.

IBM ThinkPad 2300 series. Win XP Pro (with A/B's firewall patches). __PanelViews & Port 0 DF1 = Belkin USB to Serial converter. __DH485 = 1747-UIC __DH+ = PCMMK/B All works very well!

I have used earlier versions (5.20 and 03.80.00) on Win95, 98, 98SE, SP SP1 Home, always with no problems. Later versions must be even mor compatible with later OS, IMO. On XP my RSLinx Professional 2.43.00 works well with both COM port and USB-to-serial adapter. I never tried though other drivers than DF1, PIC and ETH. I would still look for a PC with a COM port.

Thanks guys, I know what to look for now.