Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest brian e boothe

Cpu familys

5 posts in this topic

what are the actual CPU familys involved in the AB-PLC       hiarchy

Creeeeeak... where's the hood prop, okay.   Hand me that light, Rufus... there.   (squeek, squeek).  Wow, that sucker just hums along, sounds like 12.5 MHz.  Would want to get my sleeve caught in it, though, here, hand me that screwdriver, no, the old yellow one, thanks. Lesse... this here's a PLC-5/20, so it's just got the one 68020 Motorola.  I always liked those, I had a PLC-5/40E when I was a teenager with three of 'em, plus the ASIC chips in the DH/RIO plug daughtercards. Oh, yeah, A-B's always used Motorola.  Those little MicroLogix the kids race today have Intel 8051 variants in 'em, like the 80C320 all kicked up to 22 MHz, but all the online-editable ones like to use the priority interrupt system used in the 68000 family Motorola processors. The new ControlLogix is all newfangled inside, ASIC cores with fancy names like Argus and Arcanum.   Can't even work on 'em without a computer, gotta take 'em to the dealer way down in the City. Nope, me, I'll take my heavy iron any day, even if the parts are gettin' expensive.  Maybe someday I'll buy another, if it comes up on the E-Bay.

Which of the ML 1.5k's are online editable......I remeber reading something about this, but I can't find it now.?!

None of 'em.   The MicroLogix 1500, 1200, and 1000 all run the same execution engine as the SLC-5/02 and do not support online editing. The smallest online-editable controller today is the 1769-L20 CompactLogix.  I'd hoped that Rockwell would build a packaged controller with the Logix engine, but there's just too much horsepower in the Logix core to make it cost-effective in hardware like the MicroLogix 1000 has. I re-read my posting below;  I can see how it could be misleading.  By "ones" I meant PLC's in general, not members of the MicroLogix family.   All the fixed SLC-500's, 5/01 and 5/02 and MicroLogix use Intel 8051 variations, and the SLC-5/03 and higher use Motorola 68000 family microprocessors.

That would explain why I cant find it now!!!!