Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest pc paul

Scheduling on RSView

5 posts in this topic

I've got an RSView project that requires me to start/stop a motor (sort of an air-cond blower) based on a set duty schedule which changes as and when the user needs to. The user sets the frequency based on time, day of week and month. In other words, it's basically calender control. It's possible to program it in the SLC but is rather tedious. My question is how can this be done in RSView with a user friendly interface? Thanks for hearing me out.

You could use an "event" The output for this event would be to toggle the digital bit which starts your motor based upon the events and conditions you require. Your user would enter the required start/stop times into memory tags, these would be compared to the system tags at certain intervals. I would advise against using seconds in the comparison, stick with hours / minutes. If you use seconds, the event has to be run every second in order to make the comparisons, this can significantly increase the operating overheads of your system!"

Thanks for the advise. I used an event on RSView with Calendar Control ActiveX to compare the system time and the start/stop input time. However, due to the risk involved in triggering from HMI i.e. PC failure, date/time not synch and comms errors to name a few, I would prefer to do the comparison in PLC. The question is how does the Universal Coordinated Time (UCT) work? There's a formula which states the theory of operation but does not explain enough. This can be found on the RA Knowledgebase Application Note A6427. I will need to allow the user to enter a schedule for daily, weekly or one shot. In daily or weekly, I will have to start and stop it based on a pre-determined time. Any ideas on how this can be implemented? Also, the UCT is too large a number to accept as an integer file on the SLC. Sadly it doesn't come with a double integer file.

I guess if it was me, the SLC has S2 (system registers) that contain the real time clock. I don't know your whole application but often times enough I map the time and date from the SLC into the HMI. That way the time and date stamp comes from the PLC not the PC. Maybe you can use the S2 files (real time clock in PLC) and build your logic in the PLC to trigger your HMI? Look under help for real time clock or browse the S2 files in your SLC. I don't know the register numbers off the top of my head, but each value has a register tied to it. Minutes, Hours, Seconds..etc.....

That's a good solution which I have not discounted before. My real problem comes from using RSView. I was looking to create a user-friendly interface for that purpose. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel and create something similar to ActiveX Calendar Control. The gfx is gorgeous and allows the user to browse the interface as a PIM would allow. The user needs only to select the start/stop date and time from the calender and the motors does the rest. In addition, the ActiveX provides for a start time selection (UCT) that is used in an event to compare to the real time and thus triggers the start bit. In view of your idea, perhaps it is possible to disect the UCT code from the ActiveX and convert to PLC time base which can then be used to compare with the PLC S2 date/time format.