Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nissinbrake

Plc Project Idea

11 posts in this topic

Guys, I'm in a PLC class now and its the beginning of the semester and already assigned a final project. The parameters of the projects are: 1. Select an appropriate application. Your application shall have at least one analog input; one analog output, control algorithm, one STI call and demonstration of your hardware/software. 2. Describe the need of your application, control performed and end product or result. 3. Draw a sketch of the process operation. 4. Indentify sensors and output devices required for operation of your system. 5. Justify selection of sensors and output devices. 6. Select an appropriate PLC, I/O modules, chassis, power supply, etc. 7. Draw the complete schematic of the system 8. Indentify control algorithm 9. Draw the flowchart of the PLC program. 10. Write ladder logic for the program. 11. Execute ladder logic for the program. 12. Consider the safety of the operating personnel and consider "what ifs" where the process sequence may go astray. I have some experience with PLCs to know enough about them. What gets me on this project is the analog input/output. I think I've only used digital sensors before. My question - can anyone give me any ideas. There are some processes I used at work I could do but drawing it up without part drawings which I cannot get would be hard for me to do. If anyone have a project they did at work that would be good for a PLC class, I would love to hear about it. Also programming software. I would like to program this on my own computer. Since this really all concept and no implemenation, does anyone know of software I can download and write the ladder logic? Since I only have experience with Omron PLCs, I only know CX Programmer. If anyone knows if CX has a trial verison or anything of the sort, I would like to use that. Thanks in advance.

If you need some ideas where to start, a good analog control could be postition transducer (AI) and linear actuator (AO). Or temperature (AI) and pneumatic control valve (AO) to control the amount of flow of a gas to control temperature. It should be pretty easy to come up with something if you think about it. I dont' know anything about a trial version of CX, but shouldn't your class have the software available?

We have RSLogix but it's only in a lab that we have limited access to. My schedule is not very open for those times so I would like to find my own software for the ladder logic. Since it's really all concept, we can write the program with any software. Since I know CX thats what I would want to use. I only have dealt with Omron before. Would you know of any other software I can use for the ladder logic?

http://www.heapg.com/Support/cscape_download.htm This is free software for programming Horner OCS controlers. I have never used omron CX Programmer so I do not know how different it is than Cscape Or you could write the program on the plc simulator on PLCs.net

RSLogix 500 Starter is free, however, you can only program 10pt Micrologix with it, so no analog as far as I can remember. But you could still program the logic (assume you scale the input to an integer or float file)and copy the rungs to the RSLogix in your lab. Schneider Electric's Proworx NxT demo works fine, you can program up to 25 networks I think, however 984 ladder is WAY different than what you are used to, there are different rules on how it scans and how the blocks work.

From you summise...the scope reauires a realtive simply application yet a common one that is used in industry. Also it appears that you are not required to buy PLC hardware, however you are to write and test code. May i suggest then that you look at a water control problem to maintain level in a process tank. The folow into the tank can be asuumed to be at water mains pressure and you have a proportional valve at the inlet of the tank. Your tank has a level transducer. (This is only part of a larger process wehere by water is drawn off the tank at a set flowpoint controled by a variable speed pump. Only concern your self with the first part). Now looking at the above system you have a level transducer (analogue input), a inlet proportianal valve (analogue output). To control the level correctly because the water is being drawn off by another pump to maintain level in the tank the valve will need to be controlled by a PID loop or Sliding Mode Control algorithm. All of this can be coded in the PLC, even the simulation of the water level in the tank and draw off rate. One. Are you friendly with your local Omron rep / Omron office? Two. Get some brochures on the hardware Three. See if you can get a junior/full version of cx-programmer. BTW how do you "know" Omron PLC's ? From work ? do they have a copy of CX ? Hope that helps make a start.

nissinbrake...How 'bout Omron Syswin 3.4, follow the link below and look toward the bottom and download the 3 disks. It is a beta version but it works. http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/...ook/plcbook.htm Later....Todd

I did a co-op/internship at a brake manufacturer (Nissin Brake if you heard of them). A Japanese owned company that sent us their old assembly lines and they used Omron and as time went on and as they got new equipment, the company here stuck with Omron since the few Japanese engineers left at the plant prefers them. But I became familiar with Omron and CX there. Since I completed the co-op I don't have access to CX anymore. Edited by nissinbrake

CX Programmer is the latest Omron programming software. Before CX Programmer and after Syswin (which was offered by Omron's European group), Omron offered a package called CPT that they gave out for free. Perhaps, you can get a copy of that. Of course, you could always go with the old DOS based software called LSS.

Hi Nissin; I'm working now on a multi-tank(15actually) dipping process called"Parkerization". Like you, I'm also looking for ideas to come up with a suitable flow-chart algorithm. Watch the response to my postings. Maybe an idea will click. Anyway, w.rt. your need for a programming software. I'd strongly recommend ABB's AC1131. It is the only ladder editor(that I know) that can SIMULATE your logic and show to your assessors that it can work. Best of luck in your project Raj S. Iyer

We just did a training class for some of our techs using AB PICO controllers, and the AB PICOSOFT software (free). Had good response for a basic training class, the PICO's are pretty cheap, and the software supports most of the functions we needed to teach.