Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simon Ong SK

NETWORK CONGIGURATION !

9 posts in this topic

Objective: I would like to perform on line monitoring without removing any external devices connected to PLC. 1) A Computer connected by Ethernet to a Server (which the HMI is connected also). 2) AB PLC (SLC5/03 with DH485 and RS232 or M1500 LSP with 2 RS232). 3) Weighing Scale with RS232 Only (No Device Net or RS485). 4) HMI (Not AB). If using M1500: HMI Connected to Channel 0. Weigh Scale to Channel 1. Which network device should I add in order for me to perform downloading and monitoring the plc program? (Note: PLC has to perform ascii read from Weigh Scale) If using SLC5/03: DH485/RS232 converter for Scale? RS232 for HMI (or Vice Versa) Another DH485/RS232 for Downloading and monitoring?? Pleas help me to configured.

Online monitoring will requre that that one of the ports on the processor be accessible, so: For the SLC you can add a 1747-BAS module that features two RS232 ports that can be programmed to interface with the scale and the non-AB HMI if it doesn't support DF1 or DH485. For the ML1500, a 1769-ASCII module featuring two RS232/RS485/RS422 serial ports can be used for the scale and non-AB HMI w/o DF1 or DH485 support. Both these processors can be connected to Ethernet with a 1761-NET-ENI Adapter to the processor's channel 0 (or the ML1500's channel 1). Hope that helps.

I've never used it but Tonamtron sells a serial port multiplexer that supports DF-1 http://www.tomantron.com Ken

personally i would try to keep everything on ethernet but i don't like 1761-NET-ENI. how many I/O this PLC is going to have? could you use ML1100? it is cheap (it costs less than 1761-NET-ENI and about same as tomatron multiplexer), it has ethernet port and online editing. it supports same I/O modules as ML1200 (up to 4 additional cards). it requires RSLogix500 v7 for programming. heck, i could even see using two of them if one doesn't have enough i/o.

Havn't used the ML1100 yet, so I sometimes forget it exist. But Panic Modes suggestion is perfect (depending on I/O requirements). Programming and HMI via ethernet, barcode via rs-232. Link to cutsheet on ML1100: http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/1100/

Great suggestion panic mode. I would go for the 1100 too. I've been trying to find a good application to put one of these in myself.

Jstolaruk: Is 1769 ASCII module act like the 1746-BAS ? How to program this ASCII Module ?? If it need AB Basic, then It is out of the scope (DOS or HYPERTERMINAL !) I read through some manual on 1769 ASCII, there is no mentioning about programming on ML1500. If you have info pls let me know. Thanks Simon

The 1769-ascii module does not require programming other than through the very large I/O map with the processor. The User manual is here.