Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ReBroker

new laptop no 9pin serial port

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I have a questions for the gurus... I have just gotten a new laptop, of coures it has no 9 pin serial port. what is the cheapest way 1. to communicate with a micrologix 1000 2. to communicate with a A.B. ultra 3000 Thanks Rick

If you forsee doing much automation work, consider getting a different laptop with serial port and floppy dirve. There are alternatives for each, but having both to begin with saves some hassles with AB software. For USB to serial the Belkin F5U103 is the one that AB has tested for XP. If you expect tech support get one even if others work. I have found autoconfigure to be a bit flakey using one though. Try to label ports with com settings to assist with future connections. Also if using XP install the patches for SP2 A86058399. Also check the XP compatibility tables if not using latest version of software G79662951.

I've been using the ATEN usb/serial adapter with RSLinx and for programming Ultra 3000. It works great and RSLinx can auto-configure with it.

Yea, thats the kicker... i m not going to be using this laptop at the "real" job where they supply me with all of the essentials. This is more of a once in a while thing i provide support to a small company that can't afford a full/part time maintenance guy. So when they are stumpped i get a call. Thanks Rick

We have a DF1 USB to Serial cable in the store: Click Here An an adaptor to adapt the DB-9 to a Mini-Din8 for Micrologix 1000 or ML1500. Works like a champ.