Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PLCer

Proximity Sensor to detect piston in cylinder

8 posts in this topic

Hi This is maybe off topicc here. But anyone can help pls reply. Our machine has a proximity sensor to detect piston postions within cylinder. I want to use OMRON sensors to replace that. I've tried various sensors (E2E, E2F,..) but it always confused cylinder (made of alumunum alloy). Anyone can help?

Hi, Youre right Px sensors cannot detect aluminium alloys. May be you should use a capacitive sensor. Or a limit switch to detect the position. Or a Photo sensor which could be adjusted according to the sensing position. I could say limit switch with a NC contact might be the best solution. Also you should use special apparatus to attach the sensor. Best Wishes.

why can't you use reed switch? if cylinder is not magnetic and there is no room to check position of the cylinder rod, you might want to consider replacing cylinder.

I was kind of wondering if it didn't already have reed switches on it. Are the switches mounted to the outside of the aluminum cylinder. If so it is a reed switch and a prox won't work. I know omron used to make reed switches for various air cylinder manufacturers but there name was not on them. Flipped through the catalog and couldn't find any cylinder type switches. What type of problem are you having with them or do you just want to replace them. There are thousands of varieties of reed switches and some are great and some are awful

You did not mention the E2EY which is designed to detect non frerrous metals such as alluminuim/brass

Actually if the switches are mounted to the aluminum housing and sensing the piston I only think a magnetic sensor such as a reed switch will work. If you put a prox on it that only detects steel it will still detect the rod. And even then it must have a magnetic piston

Does anyone know if there is some new way to detect the cylinder piston or do you guys think this was a reed switch. I had hoped PLCer would have responded but I hate to see this thread die before I understand. It would be great if there was some new way to detect the piston that didn't require magnets but I also know reed switches are often confused with being little prox switches

Best way to detect a air cylinder piston (if its magnetic - many are not!) is to use a 'hall effect' sensor rather than a reed switch. Hall effect sensors are solid state & will not be afected by vibration or stray magetism if they have a sweet spot. Only prob is you must get the correct voltage one to suit. Personally I use SMC pneumatics & therefore their sensors. If you cannot sense the piston position then add a 'flag' to the rod or mechanism somewhere & sense that with a std prox - often much easier to set up. To see if your piston has a magnet just run a mild steel rod down it and 'feel' for the magnet - or place a small bit of scrap ferrous metal on the cylinder & see if it moves with the piston.