Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

Test Image

17 posts in this topic

I'm still trying to figure out how to post images clearly. Can some of you tell me if you can read this image. All I have is Ms Paint. I use the Alt Print Screen to copy the image to Ms Paint then save it as a gif file. Is there a better way?

If you only want a piece of a screen capture, use the alt print screen, then open paint, and paste your capture. While in paint, highlight the piece you want, then cntrl-x, to cut out that piece. Open a new file and paste the cut from before. Now you have just the piece you wanted. I usually save as a .jpg, seems to be a smaller file, and is more widely accepted. Ken Here's an example:

What editor are you using? I don't have the option of saving as a jpeg Here is my version of it. Yours is much clearer

Ok this one is a lot clearer but I had to paste it into word, then create a web page for it, then pull the image out of the web page files. Is there an easier way or do I need to get a picture editor?

I'm using the version of paint that comes with WinXP sp2, and .jpeg is the option, just above.gif

Ok, I'm using Windows 2000. It appears it only has the option of a bitmap or a gif

better yet: copy to paint highlight interesting area Edit -> Copy to which creates a file directly from your highlighted area... As for the image format question, in the case of screenshots I normally make the priorities: PNG GIF JPEG PNG normally is small, viewing support is decently widespread (it's the newest of the formats, but anything from IE4 and on will show it), and it is lossless. Downside: I don't think it's available as a save format in pre-XP Paint. GIF is like PNG but bigger file size and generally suckier. JPEG isn't really designed for usage with images of computer graphics. As it is a lossy format, its main intended usage is for photos and photo-like images. You get horrible artifacts (look closely at the posted image above!). Edit: TWControls: BTW, by "clearly" do you mean they should look exactly like in Paint? Then you should know that the forum scales down big images to prevent "Page widening", thereby making them somewhat hard to read. If you click on any of your images, they will open in a popup window, supposedly exactly like they looked on your computer screen in Paint... Edited by TERdON

You can also use screen capture software. Myself I use SnagIt, you can press a hotkey to "freeze" the screen, including mouse pointers and tooltips. Then you can draw the area you want to capture. Once captured it automatically puts the file as JPEG in my pictures folder, using a preset filename. A lot of configurations possible. It's not freeware but there are a lot other screen capture tools around.

I also usually do a screen print and paste it into paint for clipping and resizing. I will size the ladder window for a compact display before doing the screen print. Also, I suggest you download and install PDF995. Its a free PDF printer that will allow you to print from Logix directly to a PDF file. This will let you post larger items as a PDF attachement.

Thanks everyone for all of you help. I think I've got it figured out now. Plus I didn't realize that once you click the thumbnail, the icon comes up in the bottom right hand corner of the picture to "Expand to regular size". Once I clicked that the image was readable. I think that is why Bob O said it looked fine but I couldn't read it in the post. Where can I download PDF995 Edited by TWControls

I like PrimoPDF, it's free and works well. http://www.primopdf.com/

I use Printkey2000, just like snagit but it is freeware. http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/printkey_info.htm

I've been using this little freeware gem for the past several years. It allows you to capture any portion of the screen and save in different formats. MWSnap110.zip

http://www.pdf995.com/

Hi Folks...Try Irfanview , it's free and easy to use http://www.irfanview.com/ Later...Todd

I second the Printkey2000 vote. It's very good, and free. It can save in lots of formats and crop right in it's own application. Also, it can capture dos app windows.