Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
93lt1

Rsview32 webserver

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone used RSView32 Webserver? It looks to me like you can't use it with Win2k Professional, you have to have Win2k server, with Microsoft Internet Information Services 4.0. Or WinNT???? My question is......What do I need to run RSview32 Webserver?

Version 4.0 of either Internet Information Server (IIS) or Personal Web Server needs to be installed on Windows NT or 2000 for RSView32 Webserver to work.   RSView Active Display Server needs to have IIS, but Webserver will run with the lighter-duty Personal Web Server. Microsoft changed the name of the mini package from "Peer Web Services 3.0" to "Personal Web Server 4.0" at some point. Big ol' Internet Information Server is built into NT 4.0 Server and Windows 2000 Server, but I think it's an add-on to the Workstation / Professional versions of both operating systems.   I know that the Rockwell Automation sales division images come with Win2K Professional with IIS preinstalled, specifically to demo RSView32 Active Display.    This caused us no end of headaches during the NIMDA scourge. As with all things Operating System related, there's a host of if's, maybe's, and minimum revisions.  No, using Linux and Apache will not remedy this.   Oh, and neither will Windows XP.   Microsoft changed one of the principal HTTP publishing mechanisms in XP and everybody who wrote web publishing software has had to change to comply, and RSView32 isn't there yet.   Regular RSView32 works fine on XP, but Webserver and ADS don't yet. So in short, don't run out and buy Windows 2000 Server just to try RSView32 Webserver.   Get IIS or set up Personal Web Server instead.

Precisely the information I was looking for!!!! Thanks!! Where do I get Personal Web Server for Win2k Pro? Is it a free or on the Win2k disk??

Here I go, trying to sound knowledgeable, but myself fundamentally mis-led. "Windows 2000 Help refers to the Web services that run on Windows 2000 Professional as Peer Web Services (PWS). However, the name is actually Internet Information Services version 5.0. The incorrect references to Peer Web Services (PWS) occur in the following sections of Windows 2000 Help: TCP/IP utilities Internet printing Connect to a printer with a browser Manage printers from a browser"

More to the point:  it's included on your Windows 2000 Professional CD.   From Microsoft's website: "Although Personal Web Server (PWS) can be installed separately from the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack (NTOP) on computers running Windows NT Workstation 4.0, PWS does not run on Windows 2000. Instead, you need to install Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.0, which is included in Windows 2000 Professional and IIS 5.1, which is included in Microsoft Windows XP."

Then again, Apache is looking more and more attractive all the time.....