Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BadgerGuy

Counting with Micrologix 1200

31 posts in this topic

Sergie, Look at page A-2, Table A2 ml1200usermanual.pdf

Done. Nothing new. Absolutely confirms whatever I said before and does not answer my last question. Edited by Sergei Troizky

I wasn’t going to reply to this post anymore but I had one of these Micrologixs that don’t work on a machine here that we pulled out while they are doing some work on the hydraulics and decided to play a little more. I put 3 encoders inline on it. The first is a 1000 count going to a Controllogix. The second one is also a 1000 count encoder and I put Channel A on Input 0 of the Micrologix and Channel B on Input 2 of the Micrologix. The third is a 600 count encoder and I put Channel A on Input 1 of the Micrologix and Channel B on Input 3 of the Micrologix. I didn’t have 480 VAC to run the motor off of so this does not test the max frequency of the counters but I did turn it faster than one revolution per second. So this definitely gets us above the 1000 Hz limit of inputs 4-23 and out of the range of using normal program scan to do it. I stopped the Controllogix at 635367 counts. Input 0 was at 635368. Input 1 was at 381221. Input 2 was at 635367. Input 3 was at 381220. Yes none of the counters have the exact same value but they are plus or minus one pulse which I would account to the encoders not being exactly lined up the A being a half of pulse off of the B. Also did some calculations since I can’t hit the 20 kHz with any of the machines we have and you probably could not hit the 20 kHz. It is probably closer 19700 Hz give or take 500 Hz. While it is not scan time dependant it is processor dependant. You probably could hit the 20 kHz with the 1500 but I did not do the calculations. Mickey did point you in the right direction but not quite the right book. But if you do a little reading in that book it references the book you need to do it. If you are serious about learning how to do this with the Micrologix and not just trying to say how everything else is better, do a little reading in these books. Once you find a little more information on how to do it ask some specific question and I will be glad to help you understand it. I you aren’t serious just keep blabbering on the way you have been. This is my last post on this matter

So many words and so little information. Even not mentioned the ML model. And again, was it really HIGH-SPEED counters? I can solve this application with MicroLogix without reading manuals. Actually, I can do it in more than one way, even without HSCs at all. But you have not prooven that there are more than 2 HSCs in ML. Just try to specify HSC:2 in a device name. Only this is a formal HSC. I do not expect you to reply. If the author of the thread still needs help, I will gladly guide him to the most cost-effective solution. BTW, where are the AB experts? Judge us, please! Edited by Sergei Troizky

Any chance of putting aside the my brand is better than your brand squabble and post some code so myself and others could perhaps learn some new programming techniques?

I love it, a good flame war here on MrPLC.com! Forget A-B vs. whatever, my Atari 800 is way better than your Commodore 64!!