Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TerryRWood

AB & VB Interface

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for people interested in discussing techniques related to programming HMI screens with Visual Basic... I can't seem to find people on the Visual Basic Forums who know anything about this. I current use touchscreen computers and program my own interfaces for use with SLC 500's, just looking to share tips. Terry

What SLC driver are you using? Some third party OPC I would hope? I haven't done it myself, I've just dabbled. Seems like a lot of work, when most of which we need can be done cheaper and faster using something like RS View 32 or ME. Do you think cost vs development time compared to RS View ME or 32 is cheaper to do an HMI in VB? The only reason I can justify is the flexiblity, but it seems like a lot of third party hardware is support with activeX module to be able to do some customizing. Recently, I needed to be able to have a Cognex camera in an HMI view, and luckily we are running Windows 2000 with RS View ME on an industrial PC to be able to port over the Cognex Vision camera ActiveX module right into the HMI.

I use to work for a big multinational corporation and there was an engineering section that is repsonsible for creating HMI applications. They ( and I was subsequently seconded to that group for 1.5 yrs) uses Cimquest InGear32 to write applications in VBasic and C++ to interface to ControlLogix. We were very succesful in implementing this HMI to our factory floor worldwide. In retrospect, I think it was not a good move to create a team just for that. We could have easily use existing HMI or SCADA packages off-the-shelf and same heaps of dollars. Why re-invent the wheel, right?

I've done quite a few VB and Delphi applications using the Inquest product. I opt for the PC/HMI interface when there is a lot of database work or several serial devices, otherwise I'll use a PV. I prefer to deliver HMI apps that the customer can take ownership of so the Panelbuilder / RSview is best but sometime the PC is the right choice. Tips? Leave the PLC to doing as much of that decision making as possible. Its tempting to move into the PC but more difficult for anyone later on supporting it. What tips do you have Terry?

Good for the group.. Job security! Bad for the corporation.. Job security! :)

I have a current project using RSview SE but in addition to the the operator terminals we are also rolling out a VB application that allows anyone on the company network to have a small almost tickertape indication of how the plant is doing. The beauty of this is that anyone can install the application, they just get the setup file from the intranet. The application runs all the time (if they want it to) so they can see at a glance what the production rate is like. Its being done in my slack time so it is almost free, the real cost saving comes if 50 odd people want it. I have looked at some of the free DF1 stuff with interest, but we are lucky to have RXlinx Gateway so we can just tie into that.

I too am using Cimquest InGear32 OCX... Why??? Legacy on 300+ machines. It gives us lots of flexibility but is limited in the words that can be transfered. (112 word) limit. So we have to be creative.... Was looking for suggestions on data organization Thanks

If you have used OPC Server to connect to PLC, you can use low cost OPC ActiveX control to control/mornitor you PLC via OPC server. An unlimited tags OPC ActiveX control I know is 'COPC32'. It can used with VB,VB.NET,C# and VBA container such as MS Excel and any SCADA supporting VBA. Edited by Friday