Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Goombaaayaa

Output Cards AB1746-OW16

2 posts in this topic

Greetings to all, I was looking for some input concerning the 1746-OW16 output cards. If I have one relay that goes bad can I replace just the bad one and re-use the card? Does anyone do this? If you listen to AB the answer is NO!!!!!! I haven't done the replacement yet. I certainly dont want to compromise the safety or integrity of the card. Just some passing thoughts of mine. Thanks in advance. ED

AB have to protect their backside technically, commercially and legally...so of course the correct answer from the corporate's point of view is always NO. Bear in mind that a module can finish up being serviced by them, or a third party and needs certifying as being fully re-manufactured before they can re-sell it. Unauthorised repairs just add cost and risk to that process for them. However in reality there is no reason why you cannot get the correct relay component and if you have access to the right PCB repair tools and skills then replacing relays is easy and will save lots of ding. However if the repair is not successful or it develops another kind of fault in the future then it is quite reasonable for AB to refuse to accept the module for a Repair Exchange. Only you can evaluate what is important to you here. Choose between a much lower short-term repair cost for your current problem, or a higher risk of having to toss the module and buy a new one at some time in the future.