Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Paint Transformers?

4 posts in this topic

For you custom OEM machine builders... When a customer ask for a custom paint color on their machine, which typically we paint all the electrical enclosures to match that paint color....do you paint your wall mount transformer too? Right now we aren't painting ours. It looks like an eye sore with a nice blue freshly painted electrical box, then you got this wall mount transformer that is still Sola Grey....yuck.... Wondered what you guys think. If you think that the paint falls off, or if the transformer can't cool correctly with paint on it etc... What are your opinions?

I've seen them painted in the automotive industry so I guess there is no cooling problems.

My $0.02 Automotive industry, we have always painted them. While in different plants I have seen them both painted and naked. I also took a look at the specifications for Ford. DCX and a few Tier suppliers, found nothing specific to transformers.

At the last company I worked for, we painted ours all the time with no ill effects. As long as we prepped the surface properly the paint adhered fine.