Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sp4rky

CAD Packages and info

9 posts in this topic

This question has probably been asked before but what the hell. I've just been given the job of doing the electrical drawings within the company i work for. i have obviously worked from drawings in the past whilst working for major manufacturers like toyota and kvaerner to name a couple. We are currently working from what i would call layout drwaings ie panel builder works to them, they are nowhere near a schematic, and we are using ACAD LT to compile them. The equipment we manufacturer is for use in the glass industry and mostly adapted to suit needs. This means alterations are usually made to existing drawings but this is so time conuming that its unreal moving sets of wires adding, and i could go on. I have a number of questions being new to the draftsman role !!! One is there a set standard i can work to for panel layouts including wiring standards (just to give you an indication that we use RS traced cables 17 colour combinations and repeat use for different inputs outputs !!!! which worries me) I have use JIC symbols previosly but wondered if this standard included best practice so to speak for panel wirng in general Is there an all in one package i could use that will let me do a schematic then translate to a panel layout. Whats the best system for cable marking (not critchley markers though they take too long). I want to steer away from the 17 colours and introduce a system such as a Blue wire is 24vdc, Red is upto 220VAC, and subsequently identify them with a wire number Any feedback would be appreciated Cheers sp4rky

PLCS.net has a good thread going on panel building: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=18737

thanks for the info will have a browse thru thanks again Carl

sa4rky, Take a look at Autocad Electrical. I started using it when it was VIA WD 16.0. Its is now ACADE 2006, and it just keeps getting better.

thanks again for the replies are there any demos of ACADE ?? its quite expensive and i would ahve to justify spending £4000 plus on this software plus is the maintenance fee per year really needed ???

Hi Sp4rky, You might want to check out Promis-e from ECTI. It is a CAD system purpose build for Control Engineers ( include panel layout, automatic wire numbering, costing, etc, etc.). For wire numbering, I believe that US and EU has their own wire color code, so be aware of the wire color convention. As for wire numbering, I've seen some companies prefer to have their wire number referenced to drawing number-line number (. eg. 12317 means sheet 123 line 17) and some prefer to have PLC I/O number referenced on their wire numbers ( eg. O00101 menas Output 001 Bit 01). Personally, I prefer the drawing-line number reference.

If you want some thing QUICK and FREE. Try downloading my menu system. You need AutoCad to start with. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?act=Downl...&CODE=02&id=146 I used it for a long time until I also got AutoCad Electrical 2004. I still swear by ACADE 50% time saver!

cheers fellas much appreciated what sort of costing would i be looking at for ACADE in the uk? chako: i have downloaded that already thanks and have had a look at it. what sort of size grid spacings do you use ??? Edited by sp4rky

If I am drawing symbols. I use the JIC standard. 0.125 snap setting type snap, then change your snap settings.