Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rluce

Rslogix LOGIC TRACE

4 posts in this topic

I am using Rslogix 5, and Rslogix 500 PRO With 500 PRO I am able to use (logic trace) In Rslogix 5 std I do not have this function. Does anyone know if there is an add-in, that I can purchase or download, that can be used with Rslogix5? Question 2; Can someone show me or illustrate how to write a macro that will do the same function as logic trace? LOGIC TRACE= back space or forward to previous position. This is a very handy tool while troubleshooting. Thanks

I’ve never used the “Logic Trace” feature ... but here are couple of “Standard Package” tricks that might help ... click on a rung number to “mark” a rung with the big red box (technically the box is called a “caret”) ... now scroll up or down through the logic - but don’t click on anything ... now hit the “Home” key on your keyboard ... this will zip you right back to the “caret” rung ... another little known trick ... hold the “Control” key and hit “G” to pop up the “Goto” feature ... type in a file and rung number combination ... for example: “2;5” for “File #2 - Rung #5” ... note that a semicolon will work fine as a substitute for a colon - so you don’t have to mess with the “Shift” key ... now when you hit the “Enter” key you’ll “Go To” the rung you specified ... when I’m using this one, I keep a scratchpad of “interesting” rungs next to my keyboard ... here’s another one ... “right-click” on a ladder file in the “Project Tree” and select “New Window” from the popup menu ... do this for three or four different files to experiment ... or open two or three “New Windows” for the same ladder file - and scroll to a different rung in each window ... now click “Window” on the “Main Menu” at the very top of RSLogix ... note that the open windows are all listed - and each one has an index number ... click a number to go directly to that particular window ... if you like the way this works, there’s a shortcut ... hit the “Alt” key on your keyboard to activate the “Main Menu” ... hit “W” to activate the “Window” selection ... type the number of the window that you want to go to ... it sounds complicated - but with the combination “Alt”-“W”-“3” you can go to one window ... and with the combination “Alt”-“W”-“5” you can instantly zip over to another window ... and just one more ... do a “Find All” search for the address that you’re most interested in ... when the “Results” window pops up with the list of occurrences, click the left edge of the window and drag it near the middle of the screen ... this will “undock” the window and resize it in one step ... now grab the window by its “Title Bar” and drag it up to the top of your screen ... perch it out of the way where it won’t hide any of the “Ladder” window ... now by clicking on the various items in the list you can zip right from one rung to another ... hope this helps ... but now you’ve got me wondering ... maybe I’ve been missing out by not having the “Logic Trace” feature ...

I never cease to learn something when you post Ron. Thanks, thats one I had no idea about.

I use the “Find all” window all the time, But I did not realize it would derail and resize like you mentioned. I just tried it. This is very useful information. Until now I had either used “Alt 1” to hide/unhide or resized the window horizontally only. This is equally as useful as the ‘trace logic’ Thanks Ron