Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fosy

Allen Bradley Software

14 posts in this topic

Hi, Our company has purchased an abatement plant machine from America. It burns the solvents we discharge from our factory to help keep us enviromently friendly. Anyway, it has an Allen Bradley PLC SLC 5/03 and a Panelview Plus 700 control system. I need some nice cheap software to be able to use on these items. I just googled and there is a lot of software out there and I'm not sure what would be more suitable for us. We will not be writing programs, we need the software to simply upload/download the programs and maybe do some online monitoring. Could anyone recommend the software that would be suited to us? I would prefer windows based software and something that doesn't need an expert to understand. Something that has "Auto" everything lol. I'll be purchasing from UK, so if you know a good PLC software shop that would be helpful too. Cheers, Fosy. Edited by fosy

I'm 99% certain your only choices are RSLogix 500 for the PLC and RSView Studio/ME for the PV+, both from Rockwell Software.

You will need Logix 500 and RsLinx for the PLC, but you may be able to back the PV up to a compactflash card. This will allow you to upload and download the program from the Flash Card but you will obviously not have any editing capability to the PV program. Edited by TechJunki

Thanks lads, I ordered the RSLogix 500 and leads £790 and the RSView Studio/me and leads £541. Expensive stuff considering we only have one Allen Bradley at the whole plant. Can I not upload/download and monitor with the RSLogix 500, why do I need RSlinx aswell? Edited by fosy

RSLogix is the editing software for the PLC, RSLinx is the communications package that allows you to communicate with the PLC. You should find that RSLogix came with a basic version of Linx bundled with it.

Hi Ally, I hope it does come with the ability to comm with the PLC, because if it don't, Rockwell are taking the holy water.

fosy, RSLINX Lite will come with the software. But if you want it now, its free at AB.com You can download it now. The latest ver. is 2.50

Hi Mickey, Thanks mate. I dont need to use it now, I'll wait till it all comes then all I need do is upload the program for safe keeping. Edited by fosy

You said you only need to upload/download/monitor, right? I guess I'm confused. Rockwell has (had??) a software package called RSLadder, that sounds exactly like what you would need. I don't know the price offhand, but I can only imagine that is a good deal cheaper than RSLogix 500. I found a datasheet for it here: http://www.software.rockwell.com/download/...rsladder_td.pdf BUT.. If you didn't know what you were looking for and just browsed from the RSI homepage, it doesn't look like they have it listed as a current product! Only a version that can be used in conjunction with RSView32, which you don't need. I wonder if this product can still be ordered.. There is a part number listed at the bottom of the brochure (9324-RL5LDRENE) so it might be worth a call to an A-B distributor to see if they can still get a price for it.

RSLinx (Lite) **DOES** come with RSLogix. RSLinx has several different potencies.. The least potent version is free and is called "RSLinx Lite". In this form, it merely acts as the driver set needed to communicate with A-B products. The for-pay versions do other fun stuff as well, but we don't need to get into all that here.

Glad this is all cleared up, thanks for your help chaps.

You'll get RSLinx Pro with RSView Studio/ME. PS: RSLogix 500 is about $500 less than RSView32+RSLadder. Edited by jstolaruk

I thought RsLadder was just for monitoring.. Is it possible to Upload/Download with this product?? As far as I last knew it did not have that capability.....

There is no mention of upload/download capabilities in RSladder pdf. Some sophisticated monitoring yes. If a problem occurs with the machine I may need to force an output or input. I may need to adjust a timer, but my intervention will be for diagnostic purposes only. The machine is too dangerous for me to consider program mods. If thats needed I'll get the experts in. I think the stuff I've ordered fits our needs.