Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scottishgant

Labview / PLC

22 posts in this topic

Hi! I need to establish a communication between a plc and labview using ethernet. I have developed the same communication using RS232, but not with ethernet. Does anyone have the code I need? Can anyone help me, please? Thank you.

Not familiar with Labview but SCADA programs normally have drivers. I know Citect has a full set of drivers for Omron, and most other PLCs.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I need help making the program that allows the connection between the plc (Siemans, Omron) and labview by ethernet or the actual thing already made. It is really important and urgent. I have established the connection using RS232 but using labview is another thing. Thank you.

Does Labview have drivers available for the Omron and Siemsns PLCs? If not, I would suggest you have an uphill battle. I much prefer Citect that has drivers for almost anything.

Labview works with these plcs, and I have to establish the communication with it. However, it is a bit difficult and I have stopped my work because of this problem.

So far, you haven't told us what PLC and which Ethernet module. It would make sense to start with this info first.

I am working with the cJ1w-pa202 plc from Omron but then I will have to make the communication using 315 2DP from Siemens.

CJ1W-PA202 is the number for the power supply. Please tell us the part number for the CPU and the Ethernet module. Also you have been talking about using Labview. Are you connecting the Omron Ethernet module to the computer with Labview or directly to the Seimens 315 2DP ? You will need to setup the Omron Ethernet module properly with CX Programmer before it can be used with Labview. Do you have CX Programmer?

The CPU I am using is CJ1M CPU12-ETN from Omron. Today I have established the communication between this CPU and the cx-programmer. My problem lies in the labview part. I have been trying but I cannot establish a proper communication. What I need is the program to make it work. After this I will have establish the same connection using the Siemens' CPU I mentioned.

Socket services and sending/receiving mail are not supported in CJ1M-CPU12ETN. So with this plc you need to config the Labview to support OMRON FINS\etn communication.

By using CJ1M-CPU12 with CJ1W-ETN21 you can write any TCP/UDP communication. It is not so simple, however you can use OMRON function block. To write the Labview protocol.

The problem is that I do not know how to config labview or to write the Labview protocol.

... had a quick look on the labview website... They do not appear to have an Omron FINS driver, but do have the 'hostlink' serial driver for older PLC's. They do however have an OPC driver, which can be used to communicate to the CJ1 series via Omron CX-OPC, (or other third party OPC servers). Perhaps you could use OPC ?? Nibroc NI_OPC.pdf

Whats the reason you need to get it onto ethernet ? Are there a lot of points to monitor ? Here is another thought, doe Labview support OPC ? If so you could get CX-Server OPC and all engineering time wasted trying to develope and ethernet based protocol, since Labview neither supports CX-server OR FINS gateway would be paid for.

I need the ethernet because the work I am doing is to be implemented in a industrial company and they use this system. I was told about OPC but I do not know how it works. What is it for? Labview does not support cx-p or FINS?

OPC makes it possible to use any software that is OPC compliant to have it communicate with your 3rd party I/O device, without the need of a specific vendor I/O device driver for your original software. The actual I/O device driver is found in the OPC server. Your software (in this case Labview) will become an OPC client of this server. Almost for every I/O device there is an OPC server that supports it. Some support close to a hundred of protocols. You can see it as a buffer between Labview and the Omron CPU. The OPC server "talks" both Labview and Omron. To Labview through standardised OPC tags, and to Omron by FINS ethernet. Read more on OPC on the OPC foundation site. I have good experience with Kepware OPC servers.. Easy to set up, affordable and good support. I would strongly suggest to go this way. It will make the job a lot easier on this part.

From what I can tell, Labview does not support the Omron FINS. Labview does support Omron Hostlink (Serial). Ask you Labview agent to confirm this. That leaves the 'generic' OPC protocol. OPC is an open protocol that many manufacturers and brands support. OPC is a method which will allow ethernet communications between the Omron PLC and Labview. To set up OPC communications: 1. Ask you Labview agent for the OPC driver. 2. Ask you Omron agent for CX-OPC (or CX-Server-OPC). (Make sure you have the latest versions of both). 3. Test that your Labview computer can communicate with the Omron PLC via ethernet using CX-Programmer. 4. Install CX-Server-OPC on the Labview Computer. 5. In the CX-Server-OPC project editor, configure all the memory addresses (tags) that you wish Labview to 'see' in the Omron PLC. 6. Install the Labview OPC driver on the Labview Computer. 7. Configure the 'tags' within Labview (I am not familiar with Labview so am not sure of the procedure here) That should do it. Nibroc

Thanks. I am going to gather the info I need and try OPC. I suppouse OPC works with Siemens as well, right?

... yes Siemens will (almost certainly) have an OPC driver available. Nibroc

Following the working I have been doing, I have encountered another problem. I am using CJ1M from Omron and the I will use CPU 315 2DP (siemens) and connect them to Labview using ethernet. However, I tried to use Hyperterminal (or telnet) to test it. Pressing any key, the response becomes always the same: FINS za<$ Between "FINS" and "za" are three [] (squares). Does anyone know what this means? Does anyone know how to establish the connection I need? Can the Siemens plc establish a connection with labview? How? With an OPC server? Thanks.

What communications protocol are you using to the Omron PLC?

"FINS" is the first part of the TCP communications frame header. Although the actual communications data is in HEX, any ascii terminal such as hyperterminal will show the word 'FINS'. Typing a single character on hyperterminal will transmit that ascii character to the PLC. However a single character is not a valid communication and you are recieving some type of error response, which starts with HEX 4649E53 (ascii "FINS"). You cannot really see the rest of the response correctly because you need to view the data in Hex. FINS itself is the protocol with which the Omron PLC communicates via ethernet. This protocol is documented and we can point you to this documentation if you request. Writing your own communications 'driver' will be time consuming and will require expert knowledge. As suggested on this Post, unless Labview has an Omron FINS driver available the OPC protocol will be the best way to go. Have you spoken to Omron and NI about OPC ? Nibroc Edited by Nibroc