Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ToddM

Automation Direct

3 posts in this topic

Hi Folks....I've noticed here, at PLCs.net ,and Patchn.com foums that a lot of people seem to be using Automation Direct PLCs. I've mostly been familier with AB SLC500s and PLC5s ,GE Fanuc 90/30s ,a few siemens S7- 315 series ,a few Omron, but I've never ran across an Automation Direct PLC. I surfed around their site a little and thought the prices compared to other PLC brands seemed rather low.{hence the reason I've seen so much of them in these forums, I guess} Anyway the DL305 I understand is really a Siemens TI 305? Does the software work with the old Siemens TI 305? I think in the near to far fiture I may be able to aquire one and was just wondering if it would be worth my while to snag one to play with around the house.{I already have a AB ML1000 and a fixed point SLC to play with} The software is only about 200 bucks or so. Anyway any thoughtsand comments will be wellcome and happy safe thanksgiving to all. Thanks and later...Todd

The company behind Automation Direct is Koyo. The product formerly known as the Siemens TI 305 and the GE Series One has always been manufactured by Koyo, and is now marketed by Automation Direct as the DL305. My personal opinion is that they are keeping that product line active strictly for bragging rights. It has been around since the early 1980s. DirectSoft software will program the TI305. Automation Direct has cut out a lot of the overhead involved in bringing PLCs to the market. That's how they can keep their prices as low as they do. They don't have a field sales staff or field application engineers or a network of distributors. They sell direct to consumer and support the product with an excellent help desk. They almost always have their product in stock when you order it and it generally goes out the door the day you order it.

Thanks Steve for the info.. Later...Todd