Sergei Troizky

Simple programming cable for Mitsubishi FX

126 posts in this topic

Hi folks.. I’ve a problem. There’s a Mitsubishi FX2-32 and its hand held programmer with us. When linked together, they communicate fine. Only that the HHP screens are in Japanese. Since I’ve also got Medoc v 2.3(DOS) I’ve tried to link the RS-422 port on the FX2 -32 with the pc using a MOXA /ADAM converter (Typ. ADAM 4520) using the RXD+, RXD -, TXD+ and TXD- (pins that are 2,15, 3 and16 on the 25-pin port connnector of the PLC). I have tried innumerable combinations of baud-rate, parity and data bits so that communication may be established. Nothing works. So.. would somebody help me out with this. At least how could it be known at what comm.. settings parameters, the Hand held programmer talks. Thanks a million.. Raj

I used Sergei's simple cable on a 25 pin D Connector RS-422 port on a FX plc with only a small modification: And I'm happy to tell the world that it works very, very very well. Connect the RXD enable pin(Pin 21) to ground. You need the RTS+ and RTS- signals too. Connect them to 0v and +5v, through a 1k resistor. and your cable is ready to communicate. A number of pins i.e. 12, 13, 25 carry the 5v Signal. Likewise the ground voltage is available at pins7 & 8. The rest of the cable is exactly as described by sergei. The needed RXd and TXd negatives are led to cross connect at the PC with TX & RX. The ground voltage must be linked to pin 5 of the PC's port. A big big thanks to Sergei once again, RAJ S> IYER

Can you provide drawing?

Here is the cable I made, it works well on both Round pin as well as 25 Pin connectors, if connected in the manner shown. Importantly, it is the RX Negative and TX negative signals that are cross connected with TD and RD on the PC. One may avoid using the 5 Volt signal at the mini Din Connector if no power is needed that end Regards, Raj CABLE.doc Edited by rajsiyer
1 person likes this

Can anybody tell me the difference between a 250-300$ SC-09 cable and the 20 cent cable that has been posted on this forum? I want to try the simple cable posted by Sergei, but I want to make sure that my precious little PLC won't be hurt. What makes the original cable so expensive? Thanks

OK wouter, You may refer to Jan Axelson's book on serial data communications i.e. "Serial Port complete" which convinced me that making your own cable is OK. Just for your information, the RS 232,& 485 and other such standards do mandate that any pins shorting amidst themselves including the voltage & ground pins must cause no harm to either computer being connected. To be on the safe side, the 1k resistor. regards, raj : : s. iyer

Hi, thank you for this cable, I made and tested it on a FXON and it is working very well. But I have just tested it on a FXO 30MR ES, and I can not communicate with the PLC, do you know a other cable for this kind of PLC? Thanks you in advance Yoann

Strange. I used it with FX0 with no problems. One observation: the cable works better or worse with different computers, worse meaning occasional communication losses or retries. However, I've never seen completely no communication. Edited by Sergei Troizky

I have also tried the cable with a FX0-30MR-ES and a FX1S and it didn't worked. I verified the connections serveral times and all seems to be OK. All I get is communication error. cghaba

Thank you Sergei, I will try this WE on a other computer. But I did not have any connection at all. Yoann

hi, i have also tried this cable that Sergei described on a fx0 30 mr es and i get communication error all the time, any ideas anybody???

I discoverd if pin 1 (Carrier Detect) and pin 6 (Data Set Ready) is shorted, the cable that Sergei described won't work with FX0N PLC. Any explanation?

What is the goal of shorting them? And why it should work after?

Here's a new issue guys, with Sergei's cable... With Medoc ver.2.3 it works beautifully. But I've observed that with the Windows version of the ladder editor program i.e. Melsec-FXGP/Win-E the PLC refuses to communicate. Was wondering whether we have a problem with this cable, or it could be that there is a software version conflict. PS: I've ensured that the com port settings ie baudrate, stop bits, parity etc were identical in both cases Will greatly appreciate your views, regards, R.S.Iyer

Just tested the originally described cable with FX1S, first time since I started this topic. It works perfectly under Medoc. Without the resistor, just a jumper.

For Melsec-FXGP/Win-E try to add jumper 7-8 on the computer side. I had this issue with my cables working with all programs but Melsec-FXGP/Win-E. 7-8 jumper was an answer in my case.

hi, But how, If I use sc03, Can that skematic Diagram use for SC03? And How to convert Sc03 to SC09 cable interface?. Thanks Shehoxs

Hi, I tried the cable with the FX0 and it didn't work with Melsec Medoc FX/WIN 3.2. I shorted 2-6 and 7-8 on PC side, and now it works. It seems it has something to do with RS232 control signals, some programs use them, some don't. By the way, now I have a jumper, not a resistor (removed the resistor to see if that's why it doesn't want to communicate). Thank you Sergei for the diagram. Regards, -- Peter

Hi guys, thanks for the scematic for the simple cable, and user experienses posted here, I can confirm that the cable does also work with fx0 30MR-ES with the adaption of shorting 2-6 and 7-8 on PC side. I must be honest I haven't tried connecting without these adaptions because of bad experience with fx0 30MR-ES posted here. I use Mesec Medoc 2.41 under XP Grtz. Toni

Hi, I see from an earlier posting that a USB to Mitsubishi PLC programming cable is available from MrPLC shop - but I can't find it!! Where has it gone please? Terry Ashworth

Hi, I used the cable described by raj iyer on this forum and All I got was "error in received data". I am using medoc v2.41 and FX0-20MR plc. windows 2000. The com ports on the pc are only com3 and com4 they are db9 male and are directly connected to board of the pc. So this is what I did: Medoc PC(com4) bit rate 9600 9600 parity even even stop bits 1 1 word length 7 data bits 8 flow control NONE The only changed that I did was from com1 to com4 on medoc and from parity NONE to EVEN on the hardware settings of the computer. Actually I tried the default settings for both but it was a communication error. What could be wrong? any suggestions?

"Peter Tolgyesi rpted that he tried the cable with the FX0 and it didn't work with Melsec Medoc FX/WIN 3.2. He shorted 2-6 and 7-8 on PC side, and now it works. He has a jumper, not a resistor (removed the resistor to see if that's why it didn't want to communicate)." I am running Melsec FX/GX/WIN 3.0 to FXo14. Tried all configs of sergi's and others--Comm Error!

Johnny, Tried as you indicated with no success. My FXo is an unkown, given to me several weeks ago. So I am new to the line. Maybe this is the problem. my experience is with AB products. Thanks for the reply though. dallen

If I have a Mitsubishi FX1N PLC and it is 50m from my PC, can I just extend a SC-09 cable to connect the them? Thanks, Chris