Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Dan S.

Hyper Terminal

9 posts in this topic

In the past ive used HyperTerminal for connecting to the Omron Basic/ASCII modules, but I'm just curious if you can use it to connect to anything else, like plc's or touchscreens. What else can you use it for?

Try using it for Hostlink: Setup HyperTerminal for 9600,E,7,2 Connect your cable to a hostlink port. Type @00RR0000000141* Enter(CR) The data you get back should be the contents of the first channel of I/O.

Dan, I use HyperTerm for every RS-232 device made on the planet...I use it to send commands to IAI Robots, AB PLCs, get information from a UNSON leak tester, grab vision data from a Keyence Vision system...etc. etc...anything that is RS-232. I used it last to configure a US Robotics Modem, sending the modem AT commands to setting it up for an auto answer for a PLC remote access. Before that I programmed a SMAC servo using hyperterminal. There is no software for SMAC servo, you have to us hyperterminal. It's just an all around util for serial devices. You'd be surprised what you can do with it. I've used it to bring up a terminal session in some AB Barcode readers...boy aren't those the good old days??? yuck....

How do you know what commands to type? Is it a trial and error thing? Or is there a refernece out there i could get?

Try this: Hostlink Reference Manual

WOW!! Nothing like a little light reading. I skimmed through the manual and i think it will be fun to hook up to my PLC trainer and try it out. Can you pull omron plc's programs and actually print them out or save them? Ive got a whole bunch of cables to connect to a whole bunch of stuff. It seems that whatever job i have to go to it seems I need a cable that i don't have. So it would sure be nice to hook up RS-232 and talk with the hyperterminal. Ive gotten down to two cables that i use a lot now. One cable is for hostlink on a CVM1, C200HG, NTscreens, and ASCII modules. The other is a Fanuc Cable that works with the RJ's and C1000/2000 Lk modules. So that cut down cable hunting quite a bit. Maybe you could pull some strings Jay and get Omron to Stick with one cable for everything (perph port and hostlink)??? And while your at it how about one type of handhelp programer for CV, C, and SERVO? Im sure it would save tons of money in tech support and the printing of manuals. It reminds me of that IBM commercial where the guy makes a universal adapter for everything and his boss asks him if it works over seas and he says "you need an adapter" Thanks for the Manual!!

I hooked up hyperterminal and set it up with the settings you suggested but i can't enter any commands. Do you need to do some kind of stop/break? Im hooked up to a C200HS CPU31 via the hoslink port on the CPU. Am I doing somthing wrong? In the past ive hooked up to the Omron ASCI moduels and pressed CTRL-C to stop the program.

Turn echo on in ASCII setup.