Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xing1112

can somebody help me

19 posts in this topic

Can somebody help me ,I 'm new for AB PLC, I have PLC 5/15 ,I can not communicate to its,solftware used is rs-linx and PLC 5 , I think the problem from communication cable.I have limit budget can anybody help me about schematic of commu cable for programing program to PLC 5/15.I use notebook and usb converter to rs-232 for com port. Thank, Xing Edited by xing1112

You are out of luck. The PLC5/15 is a "classic" PLC5. This means that it has ONLY DH+ communication capability ! Everything that has with PLC5 to do is expensive, accept it. You can buy a PKTX card (PCI) or PCMK card (PCMCIA) from Allen Bradley. If you are desperate you can try ebay. There may be some older KTX card (ISA). But it will only work in a PC with a slow frontside bus (meaning: It will not work in a fast new PC).

If you only need it to copy the program or make some quick changes, contact you local AB rep. They will probably loan you one

Nice thing about once you're communicating is that you can buy 1771 I/O hardware pretty cheap off Ebay; great for in-house testing projects. If you don't mind the bulk.

Never used this brand, but they claim to be less costly than AB: http://www.protocolconverter.com/products/dlpci.html

Greetings xing, maybe I’m wrong, but I get the impression that you’re trying to set this system up just for training purposes ... whether that’s true or not, it might be cheaper for you to think about this approach: instead of trying to communicate with the older “classic” PLC-5/15 (which requires an expensive DH+ (Data Highway Plus) connection, why not replace the processor with a newer “enhanced” model? ... the “enhanced” models can use a simple null-modem RS-232 connection for programming purposes ... I just did a quick search on e-bay and saw several PLC-5/20s - one had a “buy it now” price of less than $300 ... I doubt that you’ll be able to come up with the communications gear for your older processor for that amount of money ... secret handshake: the following processors are “enhanced” models: PLC-5/11, PLC-5/20, PLC-5/30, PLC-5/40, PLC-5/60, PLC-5/80 ... IMPORTANT: the PLC-5/25 is NOT an “enhanced” model - even though the number is higher than some of the “enhanced” models ... you can read more about the newer “enhanced” model processors in this manual ... you can read more about the older “classic” model processors in this manual ... hope this helps ... good luck ...

The cheapest solution would be to buy a 1784-KTX on ebay. You should be able to get it for approx. $25. With that, you can wire right in with blue hose. No cables needed. Only drawback is it is an ISA card, so you'll need a computer with an ISA slot to plug the card into.

I'm kinda new to here, but there is also another solution. If you can get an ktx card on ebay or from another source, you can then buy a usb2isa converter. That will allow you to be portable. The cost of the usb converter is around $150 US. That will give you DH+. Nacho

As cool as it sounds to use a KTX card with an ISA/USB converter... have you ever actually tried that with the RSLinx or AB6200 KT drivers ? I'd be game to attempt it, but I would not predict success. When you don't have tools, you buy them, rent them, or hire somebody who already has them. That goes double for tools that are expensive and infrequently used.

Wow, I've never heard of a USB to ISA converter. Like Ken said though, I wouldn't advocate this approach until I actually saw it work. Too many variables at play.. My suggestion would be that if cost is a concern and you don't already have something with an ISA slot, just get one. Park an old desktop PC out at the machine. If theft is a problem, get a locking cabinet/brackets like schools use.

Now I got 1784-pcmk Card I install Win 2000 driver for pcmk but It can not still connect... RS-Linx install on window xp.How can I get driver for XP or alternative. Thank, Xing Edited by xing1112

What version of RSLinx do you have ?

What version of XP are you running? There are some special steps required with service pack 2, to get by the increased security features.

RS-Linx version 2.42.00 window xp service pack 1 for AB software I use like yearly licence mean when I want to use this software the year must be set according to year licence.My software licence expire at 2004 then the software can run when clock set 2004. Thank, xing

You can download a manual and a driver for the PCMK card at this link: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/pccards/

You will also need to configure the driver in RSLinx. Open linx, click on communications, click on cinfigure drivers, at the top click on the drop down for available drivers, select "1784-KT/KTX/PPKTC/PCMK for DH+/DH485", then click add new, a popup will open, under value, select "PCMK", then you can highlight each of the parameters and set the station number, speed, etc... Then under RSWho, you should be able to see your workstation, plus any other connected nodes. Ken

At least for RSLinx you dont need a separate license. For programming RSlinx "lite" is enough. Without a license installed, RSLinx defaults to "lite". Disclaimer: It is possible that you have a "special" version of RSLinx + RSLogix. The "normal" RSLinx that comes together with a "normal" RSLogix5 doesnt need licensing or a yearly subscription. To have a licensing sceme that can be circumvented as easily as setting the date a year back sounds silly to me.

My yearly can work.Previous It can not communicate due to node setting at plc same labtop.After changing diff switch at cpu it's ok.Thank to every support. new for AB xing