Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robobob

Plc-2

5 posts in this topic

I would like to connect to a Plc 2 Processor with my laptop using AI PLC 2 software. I need a cable pin out. So I can make one up. Can anyone help me out. PLEASE! I am intending on using the serial port on the laptop. Thanks in advance Bob :*-(

The PLC-2 front port isn't a conventional RS-232 port, so a simple "wiring diagram" won't do the trick. You need a PLC-2 "smart cable" to connect your computer's serial port to the front port of the PLC-2. Only A-B sells those. There's an Australian company that sells a programming package that works with some PLC-2 models, but I haven't heard any feedback about them. PLC-2 isn't something I advise beginners to try; they're old enough that they should be left to guys who already have invested in the software and hardware to work with them.

The software Ken is referring to is located here: http://www.mrplc.com/dl/index.php?action=v...ntry&entryid=33

Thanks for the input guys I should have mentioned that I have a PCMK com card. This is how I'am going. Searching the rockwell site I found some more info. You can communicate to the PLC 2 from you Laptop through a 1784-PCMK module with a 1784-PCM2 cable. Note: Laptop must have a PCMCIA slot available. Any software.This cable is $270 If your are using AI software you can use a PLC 2 serial smart cable 9399-L2103. This will connect to the 9 pin serial port on your computer and connect to the PLC 2 programming port (15 pin). This cable is $3100 ouch! If your computer has a 16 bit ISA or EISA expansion slot you can use a 1784-KTX. The cable is 1784-CP15. Any software. Use can also use a 1784-KT with a 1784-CP2 cable. Have a great day everyone

"Ouch" is one word for it ! :*-( I've been told that the "Smart Cable" is an RS-232 to current-loop serial converter, so that something from B&B or Black Box might do the same job. But I've never read specifics about it. The price for the Smart Cable is of course less of a money-making device and more of a mechanism to encourage users to upgrade away from this obsolete and expensive-to-support controller.