Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blokker_1999

Step 5 program

10 posts in this topic

We need to edit an old program at work and no one really knows how to work with it anymore. We want to know two things: - is it possible to print out the ladder diagram? - how can we add/change I/Os in the program?

You need some kind of programming software. There is STEP5 from Siemens, but is is very cumbersome to use and extremely expensive. Consider S5 for Windows from IBH. It is much easier to use. Is a real Windows program. And costs much less (hurrah). You also need an online cable and possibly an EPROM writer to make the program changes permanent. You can also get these from IBH. Edit: I should have read the header of your post. It seems that you have STEP5 allready. So your question must be about how to use STEP5. I dont have any quick and easy recommendations for that. You will have to read the manual and experiment a little until you get a grip of it. But STEP5 is very old and hard to use. Edited by JesperMP

Another option for programming your S5 is PLC WorkShop for Siemens S5 from FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc. FasTrak has been writing software for and supporting Siemens S5 PLCs for 20 years. jim@fast-soft.com

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/l...cedownload=true to download the S5 Manual. to print the ladder you need the comment program file (original) or to upload the program of CLP then: documentation --> stl batch --> output to printer !! be shure that the source file is realy the one you need!! I/O´s are fixed given and you´ll see them on cross reference. also you can read them on the own module (ex.: I32.0 is the first one) so, every module has fixed adresses. to configure hardware you watch DB1. also it is recomendet to have the CPU manual, which CPU you have? tell me your next step... (for moderator: sorry about report...)

Is it possible to convert programs written in STEP 7 to STEP 5?

No. As for the other way, Step 5 to Step 7, there are some utilities to import code from the old into the new, but there will still be some manual fine tuning to be done.

Yes... You can print your ladder in S5 , either to the screen or to a file. To change the I/O , goto the Assignment list , change what you have to , then update your cross reference list.

Sorry. I should have been a bit more specific. If you have a 95 series CPU or below , you cannot change I/O assignment . The 115 cpu and upwards you can reassign whatever I/O if you want to . Just remember to update your cross reference table ( XRF ) . As for converting , its not possible from S7 to S5. Even the S5 to S7 conversion is dicey as your Data words get lumped into all sorts of strange places along with Function blocks calling DB's that don't exist. Quite pathetic really.

I cant remember where the option is to print out the listing. It may be hidden under the title of documentation. From the menu, you can print the program, the data blocks, cross reference tables, assignment list etc. You can print the whole program or just one block at a time. Adding I/O is easy. You set switches on the I/O card and drop it into the rack. Inputs and outputs can have the same address, so you can, for example, read from I10.0 and write to Q10.0 The only problem is if you are dropping the card into an expansion rack. Expantion racks can be set up to map to P or O tables. If they are set to P tables, then any digitals addressed under 128 get mapped to the relevent I or Q. Everything in the main rack is mapped to both P and O tables at the same time. Theres more information about adding analogues or addressing digital I/O past the 128 limit.

I remember talking to a guy demonstrating S7 when it came out. He spoke of this conversion program from S5. But after some grilling he did admit there are some problems with it that its not all converted properly. On a large program, how do you check its converted correctly? Check line by line? We decided to go with re-writing the code for the projects we were going to use it on. Mostly new instalations, so not that big a problem.