Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colin Carpenter

Data Register Values

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know a way of retrieving all the values set into data (D) registers on Mitsubishi PLCs for storage as a data file? I other words, the project I am working on at the moment involves probaly 100 or so battery backed data registers containing various set points, PID constants, valve start points etc. What I would like to be able to do is download the values from the PLC and store them for future reference so that they can be used again if someone's been "playing" or the PLC gets filled with water (it happens!!). At the moment, I have to monitor them in IEC developer and write them down by hand ....... unless anyone knows a better way. I may be missing something really obvious here .... the Allen Bradleys upload the values of all words and bits used in the progamme and store the values as part of the programme file. Do the Mitsubishi PLCs do anything similar? Thanks

In GX IEC-Developer under Debug , Device Edit you can right-click and insert devices and then read the value of thefromthe PLC and store it as an Excel-file. Hope this can help you. //John

You can upload all the data values when you upload from the PLC. I know to my cost as in my early days I uploaded everything, altered the program then downloaded everything. (including the data values) Unfortunately it put the machine back in the state that it was at the point of upload and crashed a large hydraulic ram :( I havnt a PLC here but its the bottom box to be ticked when uploading. _ you could save this with a note that it has all the values.

You can choose to upload the data registers out of the PLC. I don't have IEC Developer on this machine (in the middle of a reformat and reinstall of Windows) so I will check my office PC tomorrow. Pretty certain you just go to read from PLC and check the devices box.

Thanks ..... I'll have a play with those options. Have to admit that I always wondered what the DEBUG menu was for. Will keep you posted on what I find out.

I don't know IEC Developer but in GX Developer you choose which data to write to PLC. In "Write to PLC" Dialog, in "Device Data" tab clear X symbols on left of the undesired devices and enter the range of data you would like to write to plc. In example picture only D100-D200 region is written to PLC. Edit: Crossbow I didn't see your post, maybe explanation will be useful for someone. Edited by funfrok

Hello Colin Just to expand on a possible solution...... In IEC, enter Debug - Device Edit. You can then define device ranges by clicking into the shaded L/H columnand defining the root. Define your required ranges accordingly. Using the R/H mouse click in any individual cell or range of cells gives you further operational and view options. Back in the Device Edit window you can Save to / Load from files in .xls format and Upload /Download to the PLC. So, define your ranges, upload from the PLC to save current values, save to a file in a defined directory. You can then use the same route to reuse the values but obviously using the Read file and Download to PLC options instead. In GX the Device Memory option is the one to use. Regards Colin Tydeman

Hello, Mate!! Unless I'm very much mistaken, you're the man who taught me to use IEC Developer in the first place on a training course at Chippenham ? Good to hear from you again ......

Yep! Guilty as charged. Moved onwards, upwards and sideways since then but still doing a bit.

Colin Further to my previous reply, to qualify the statement regarding this function in GX, the Device Memory option works mainly as DWRSET in Medoc but depending on your processor choice, a further function DEVICE INIT is available which may be useful. If the feature is available it appears as a directory in Project Navigator. Just wanted to be clear as there is another post running in a similar vein "Saving Register Values" based more around Medoc and GX. Colin Tydeman

Thanks Mate, Since I originally posted this (back in October 2005), I learnt how to do it with IEC Developer and have used it numerous times to make a "snapshot" of battery backed resister values ..... just in case the PLC falls over and nobody can remember the values, though I must admit that I've never known a Mitsubishi lose values ..... unless it was hosed out of course.

i guess that would be 'register' values...