mikecham

FX1N Ethernet

10 posts in this topic

My current system involves a FX1N PLC and the F940 GOT. I would like to monitor this system via ethernet. In reading some other postings, it seems that I can add a FX1N converter board and a serial-ethernet converter. I found the following converters from BB electronics; ESR901 and ESP901. Does it sound like this is a valid approach? Thanks, Mike

I suppose your F940GOT is connected on the programming port of plc. To use ethernet you need FX2NC-ENET-ADP module and FX1N-CNV-BD adapter. The ethernet module is connected on the left side of plc by adapter. TCP/IP protocol is available and RJ45 connection. bye Max

I would go with what Max suggested above. The FX2NC-ENET-ADP adapter can be used on the FX1N, FX2N, and FX2NC (the FX1N-CNV-BD or FX2N-CNV-BD must be used for those PLCs). Then you use a product called Serial-IP on your PC which sets the IP address of your PLC to a COM port on your PC. Then any software that can talk to a Mitsubishi PLC via a COM port can talk via the Ethernet module.

I have done exactly what you are saying. I used an FX1N-232-BD and a B&B ESP901. The ESP901 comes with software to setup your virtual serial port.

Folks, Thanks for the information. I will give it a try. Thanks, Mike

I am confused that either i can use  FX2NC-ENET-ADP adapter or  FX1N-CNV-BD wit m FX 1n plc or should i use both for collecting my data to PC 

You probably need both. On the left side of the PLC there is a small plastic tab closest to you. Open it by prying it with a small screwdriver. If you see a connector then all you need is the Ethernet adaptor. Of it is empty, you need the cnv board.

Also. Download the Ethernet module manual. There you will find if/what cnv board you need.

For FX1N you need both the board and the ADP.

I'm not yet a GOT user and don't know the possibilities with these panels.

I am normally using Beijers HMI.

When the panel is connected to the programming port of the PLC can I access the PLC from the Ethernet port of the HMI.

I activate "Transparent mode" in the panel and use a handy software called "Serial IP" to redirect the RS-232 at the PC to the Ethernet port.

I'm quite sure you can do the same with a GOT panel.

You can read about the software at www.tacticalsoftware.com

What I have done on one project, specially for debugging and being able to see the parameters on the plc (I guess that is why you activated transparent mode?), is used the hmi on the regular rs232 port on the plc. And connected the plc to my PC using the ethernet cable. That way I could have two open channels to the plc, and the hmi does not need an ethernet port.

Usually, once you are able to set up an ethernet connection to the plc you are able to do everything a serial connection can, and perhaps more.

However, Mitsubishi does offer some different ethernet adapters, the ADP, and the L. you should check which one has the best compatibility with your hmi.