Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edward2

CJ1M I/O Addressing Question

8 posts in this topic

I am working on my first Omron PLC, after working on A-B PLC's for the past 10+ years. Which manual explains how to setup I/O tags for all of your I/O? I have setup the PLC IO Table as follows: Slot 1 is ID211 Slot 2 is OC201 Slot 3 is AD081-v1 (Unit 2) Slot 4 is AD081-v1 (Unit 3) Slot 5 is DA041 (Unit 4) Looking at the analog I/O card in Slot 3: 1. I understand that D20200-D20218 setup the parameters for the analog input card in slot 3 (unit 2). What "Data Type" should these addresses be in the Symbols list? 2. I also understand that 2021-2028 contain the analog input values (0-4000). What "Data Type" should these addresses be in the Symbols list? 3. In one of the manuals, it shows using the MOV function block to move an analog input value from the 2001 address to the D00001 address. I recognize that 2001 is for Unit 0, but which 0 in D00001 is the Unit number? What address would I move 2021 to? What "Data Type" should D00001 be in the Symbols list? Also, it will not let me create an address D00001, it truncates the address to D1. Why? Thank you for any help that you can provide. Edward2

The manual you want is the W339 manual. It covers the CS1 and CJ1 products. The manual for the analog modules is W345. They can be downloaded from www.knowledge.omron.com, or may be in the download section on this site. Be careful with the analog modules! There are two rotary switches on the front of the modules that define the "unit" or "mach" (same thing) number! Physical placement has nothing to do with the addressing of these modules. This may help answer your questions regarding the MOV instruction. The ID211 will be (CIO=core IO, but not really part of the address) 0000.00 - 0000.15. The OC201 will be (CIO) 0001.00 - 0001.07. Feel free to ask more questions. I think you will really like the Omron PLC once you get use to it! gtsuport

Thank you for the references. I had not looked at the W339 manual before. I have only just begun to read it, but it looks like it contains a lot of information about I/O addressing and the memory areas. Of course, the manual is about 800 pages. Holy smoke!!

The W339 was the original CS1 op manual, and the CJ1 is basically just a physically smaller CS1. I know that statement is not 100% true, but close for this conversation. The W340 manual, which is the original CS1 programming manual comes in at over 1200 pages! That is a lot of paper! There are some CJ1 specific manuals that will help if you are using the -CPU2x controllers with the built-in I/O, W393, W394 and W395. I usually end up going back to W339 and W340 because the explanations seem to be more complete. Any other questions, please just ask.

After reading some of the W339 manual, I'm starting to understand the different memory areas better, such as the work area, timer area, data memory area, etc. They sound somewhat similar to the Allen-Bradley memory areas, such as the integer registers N, the timer registers T, boolean registers B, etc. However, I'm still not comfortable with the different "Data Types" used in the Omron symbols table. The A-B PLC does not have "data types", because the memory areas are a predefined data type. Could someone possibly answer/explain the following? Looking at the analog I/O card in Slot 3: 1. I understand that D20200-D20218 setup the parameters for the analog input card in slot 3 (unit 2). What "Data Type" should these addresses be in the Symbols list? 2. I also understand that 2021-2028 contain the analog input values (0-4000). What "Data Type" should these addresses be in the Symbols list? 3. In one of the manuals, it shows using the MOV function block to move an analog input value from the 2001 address to the D00001 address. I recognize that 2001 is for Unit 0, but which 0 in D00001 is the Unit number? What address would I move 2021 to? What "Data Type" should D00001 be in the Symbols list? Also, it will not let me create an address D00001, it truncates the address to D1. Is that OK? Thanks again,

The Data Types conversation usually becomes a real "can of worms". The data type ONLY defines how CX-Programmer will display the data on screen. The PLC always stores and works with data in HEX. Data Memory (ie: D00001) is similar to the N7 memory area in an AB PLC (however you can NOT access the bit level like AB). In the example, they are moving the analog value to a data memory address to allow further processing of the value, or to "snapshot" the value if it may be changing. You can move your analog value from channel 1 (2021) to any DXXXXX address you like. None of the zeros in the D00001 address reference unit 0. Just keep track so you do not overwrite the value somewhere else in your program. CX-Programmer will remove "leading" zeros from the address. Therefore D1 is the same as D00001. You will probably want to use "channel" data type here as well. I am sure there will be other discussion on this data type question. This is only my thoughts. Just try to remember that the data type ONLY controls the way CX-Programmer will display the value. Hope this will help.

Not entirely true.. You can use instructions like TSTB and OUTB if you like. Also as a point since you are use to AB you also would have used OSR now and again. Omron provides a number of methods to do this as well. 1. You and put a Rising Edge or Falling Edge directly on to a contact in ladder logic. 2. Instructions that use the @ symbol in their call means to only execute the instruction on the Rising Edge (eg @MOV) 3. There are inline logic instructions as well such as UP and DOWN. Counters and timers also work slghtly differently as well. The DN bit is the a contact with the timer/counter address. Your biggest frustration will be that the CJ does not come with a ready available SCP as you are use to with AB. However, that is achivable with Floating point math or SCL.

Thanks for the correction Sleepy. I do very little with AB, and was thinking about directly addressing a bit instruction with a N7 bit address. Was not thinking about using an instruction to access the bits.