Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daiflying

connect the Micrologix 1500

6 posts in this topic

Can I Use a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable to connect the Micrologix 1500 directly via the 8-pin mini-din connector (don't have 1761-NET-AIC)?

That is the correct cable. You'll have to configure RSLinx on your PC to match the ML1500 (DF1 out of the box).

I was going to say "connect it to what??" but I guess the assumption should be made that he wants to connect it to a PC :) Incidentally, there is a warning in an A-B pub somewhere that cautions you against connecting a micrologix directly to a PC without an optoisolator, like the AIC+. I remember one of my fellow techs at Mac & Mac that thought he was all clever for finding this warning and providing it to as many people as would listen. This didn't buy him many friends among the salesmen, as it was seen as unwarranted bad publicity for A-B! And I must admit, I've plugged directly in on more occasions than I can count, and I have yet to fry a serial port!

Yes to PC.So I don't sure.But I have upload the program this morning.

I too have never had the problem, and maybe we're just lucky. The problem arises when you are using a PC (read desktop) that is grounded to the electrical service and the machine (read PLC) happens to be on another service and, therefore, a different bonding point to ground. There is always a possibility that the two grounds can have enough difference in potential that it blows out the comm. Using a laptop (as I do) and not being bonded to ground, there is minimal concern that this will happen.