Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rodreegus 40

305 cpu with bitbus & rs232 ?

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys ( could have already got into trouble there ! ) ive got an automation direct/siemens 305 plc base mish mosh of parts and have spotted a cpu with an rs232 port and a 4 pin plug labelled " bitbus " , i would like to get rid of my hand held programmer & 330-37 cpu and replace with a cpu with rs232 to talk to direct soft. is anyone familiar with a cpu with bitbus port ? is it a real cpu or a slave type unit ? Regards R.C.

The bit-bus CPU is a real CPU. You can take it out and toss it, put in a 305 or GE Fanuc 104, 105 or 106 and it will use all of the I/O in the rack(s). But....... I doubt that you will be able to find anyone with software to help figure out what is in there. Unless, maybe Steve remembers?

I believe that the bitbus CPU was made by either Horner Electric or Facts Engineering. Horner still makes modules for GE Fanuc. Facts Engineering still makes modules for Automation Direct. Back when GE Fanuc was marketing the Series One, Horner Electric and Facts Engineering had a tight relationship, but when GE Fanuc and Koyo parted company, so did Horner and Facts. The bitbus CPU could be programmed in RLL or Basic, and there was talk about a C compiler. There was a DOS software package for programming it. If you're interested in using that bitbus CPU, you might try calling Facts Engineering directly to see if anybody there still remembers the product. Bitbus was supposed to be an open architecture, non-proprietary communications standard, similar to Profibus or DeviceNet.