Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
desuhardi

6200-series with WinXP

7 posts in this topic

Hello all, I use 6200-series and 1784-PCMK Series B for connect with PLC5, SLC500, SLC5/04. Before I used Windows98 with interchange and had no problem. Now I want to use WinXP but 6200-series can't detect PCMK cards. I already downloaded 1784-PCMK driver for WinXP from Rockwell websites and installed it, work correctly. The memory address of PCMK is F6BFA000-F6BFAFFFF (auto configuration). What kind of setting needed in 6200-series to detect the PCMK ?

I think you cannot use the native driver in 6200 to connect to the PCMK card under Windows XP. Your only option is to use RSLinx. You need just RSLinx lite. In the list of online devices in 6200 you will find "RSLinx" to be one of them. Setup the online connection in RSLinx. You should be able to "see" the PLC. Then, when you choose RSLinx in 6200, the 6200 software will automatically switch to RSLinx where you must pick a PLC amongst the ones that can be found to be online (if any), when you do that RSLinx will automatically switch back to 6200 (sounds convoluted, and yes it is a cludge), you are then online with 6200 via RSLinx. It will work, but is much slower than online via the native 6200 drivers. edit: If I were in your shoes I would consider Dual-Boot to start Win98 when having to work with 6200. Another option is to upgrade to RSLogix5, but that isnt exactly free of course. Edited by JesperMP

I can't found "RS Linx" option in online configuration for SLC-500 (rel 6.01) and SLC-5/250 (rel. 4.5), only found in PLC-5 (rel 5.32). I have RS Linx Lite v1.70.62, but can't work on WinXP. After installed, then select the driver, select PCMK, restart, superwho still can't select. When I selected driver again, computer display didn't change, looks like stop and not process anything.

You said "6200". The DOS programming software for SLC500 is called "APS". APS never supported programming via RSLinx. You can download RSLogix500 for ML1000 (including a late version of RSLinx I believe) THIS WEBPAGE (use the "click here" in the upper right corner of the page). As you really are after programming both SLC500, PLC5 and PLC5/250 (not SLC5/250 right ?), then your best option is dualboot to get Win98 for your old software. Also, a separate PC just for old DOS programming software is possible. (What seems to be a rusty PC ready for the recycling bin to some, is a perfectly good PLC programming device to others).

I concur.. It would be an entirely healthy idea for someone trying to use the DOS-based products to use an OLD notebook w/ W98 (and reboot in DOS mode). For someone running APS with a PCMK, the notebook should be old enough that it has real-mode card&socket services written for it. Technically you could probably do it in Windows, but you'd have to use Interchange. And trust me on this one, you don't want to try to use interchange :)

I've been struggling with this also. I wan't to connect Laptop Win XP, and 6200 software to a PLC 5/250 using a PCMK card. Brought up on this - shouldn't be a problem - or so I thought. W'3.1 allowed the PCMK card to be relocated in I/O memory, W'95 did also, W'98 didn't, W2K didn't, but lo and behold, WinXP does again. So - Just use Control Panel to move the PCMK card into the right address (say D4000-D4FFF), and then use PCMK driver in 6200-PLC5250 set for D400 (last zero dropped, as usual). No need for card services to map the card I/O down to D4000, and no need for RSLinx either, which slows everything down. Guess what - doesn't work.....and won't work through RSLinx either... But I'm told it was OK in WinNT - although I never tried it. Then there's the kludge with the I/O card address setting in 5/250 online config and the "WHO" online config - there needs to be a 300 offset because 5/250 only allows even numbers (like D400, D800 etc.), but WHO allows only odd numbers (like D300, D700 etc.). It all gets very confusing..... Does anyone know if its possible to, and how to, get this working properly under XP ? dab

I never tried it, but in my Rslinx (Gateway) I can select "Communications", "Configure Client Applications..." "Interchange Port mapping".