Guest Leap

LSS Technical Guide

17 posts in this topic

The PLC that I am going to use are C200H and C500. I believe the LSS should be the right programming software environment for the above controllers. However, I am not familiar with the LSS application. Does anybody has the technical manual on LSS? Thanks.

It's not a manual. but here is a list of FAQ and Hotkey's for LSS 3.02. Also use CTRL-H for on-screen help. Combined_LSS_Technotes.DOC

Thanks Jay...... It is of great help.

Hi Friends, it's me again struggling with the LSS...... I have two questions as follows: (i) LSS is a Dos based program. However, the latest computer normally come with Win-XP, Win-2K and Win-98. Will there be any problem running LSS on Windows? Besides, will the program runs normally irregardless of my harddisk partition to FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS? (ii) I had a PGC2000.dat and PGC500.dat. But I am not able to open the files. The steps for me to open the file is by pressing --> --> --> "Enter File Name". When I pressed again, it always shows me "NO FILES". Why? However, when I choose , I am able to see two program files (there is no other library files even though I chose to display ALL). Why? Pls help...... I am really confused now........

Sorry, the question (ii) above has some display problem. I rewrite it again here. (ii) I had a PGC2000.dat and PGC500.dat. But I am not able to open the files. The steps for me to open the file is by pressing "END"--> "L:RETRIEVE PROGRAM" --> "Z:RETRIEVE" --> "Enter File Name". When I pressed "END" again, it always shows me "NO FILES". Why? However, when I choose "FILE MANAGEMENT" , I am able to see two program files (there is no other library files even though I chose to display ALL). Why? Thanks.

What are the file extensions (under column *) when you view the files under FILE MANAGEMENT? Can you post your PGC2000.dat file here? (Please zip before posting!)

Hi Jay, The file extensions are "P". Hereby, I attached both of PGC2000.dat and PGC500.dat. Thanks. Program.zip

OK, this was a head scratcher. 1. When I chose "FILE MANAGEMENT" , I was able to see the two program files, but they have lowercase "p" as their file type, not uppercase "P" as I expected. 2. I tried to open the file by pressing "END"--> "L:RETRIEVE PROGRAM" --> "Z:RETRIEVE" --> "Enter File Name". When I pressed "END" again, it showed "NO FILES". (Just like you!) 3. I then created a new ladder with one rung and an end statement. I saved it as test by pressing "END"--> "S:SAVE PROGRAM" --> "Z:SAVE PROGRAM" --> "Enter File Name TEST". It saved it to PGC500.dat 4. When I chose "FILE MANAGEMENT" , I was able to see the three program files, but now they have uppercase "P" as their file type, not lowercase "p" as I expected. 5. Now I tried to open the file by pressing "END"--> "L:RETRIEVE PROGRAM" --> "Z:RETRIEVE" --> "Enter File Name". When I pressed "END" again, it showed all three files. Iwas able to open your two original files. Here is the pgc500.dat that I made. See if you can open it. If you have the same problem again, try the above procedure. What computer are you using? What operating system are you using? Do you hace a Chinese or Japanese keyboard? Pgc500.zip

Hi Jay, Thanks for taking troubles to scratch your head. I downloaded your attached files, but only see three files with lowercase "p" under FILE MANAGEMENT. So, I proceeded to create a dummy rung with an END statement and save it as TEST as you did. Guess what happen..... I saw two files with lowercase "p" and the TEST in uppercase "P". Hence, I can only open the TEST ladder but not the other two original files. Did you test the PGC2000.dat attached in my previous mail? Does it behave the same as what you encountered in PGC500.dat?? Basically I tried to view the programs on two of my computers (PII and PIV) running on the following operating systems: (i) WIN98 with FAT16 file structure (ii) WIN98 with FAT32 file structure (iii) WIN2K with NTFS file structure All my computers are on standard US keyboard. Any clues? I really blur !!!!!

There was nothing in the file but I did test it. It works OK. LSS will not run on NTFS.

Hi, I still see three files with lowercase "p" extension even though I had reboot the system to command prompt only. ??? :*-(

Please download the pgc500.dat file agian and use the "boot to command prompt only" option. I think that when you wrote to the file is when the lowercase "p" appeared. 1. What version of LSS are you using? 2. Did you download it from this site? 3. Are you able to go-online with the C500 PLC? 4. Can you transfer the program from the PLC to the computer?

The following statements are correct and thank you for pointing them out. However, it does not apply directly to this thread as Leap as tried this on Win95,Win98 and Win2k.

I had success to open the our fiend original file. I have the same LSS version (3.02) but Win Xp, but I don't think this is the problem... Just set in the "System setup" and "PC Model", C500! I attached the library. Ciao from Italy. Mike Pgc500.dat

I don't think LSS is compatable with XP, I have Syswin 3.4 which is on 3 floppys and serial number.Just e-mail me at "kirk@alphalink.com.au"and I will e-mail you the 3 floppys (1.3mb each).

LSS is somewhat compatible with certain versions of Windows, up to a certain point, by using a "Virtual Machine". Here is my solution:

I downloaded the LSS software the other day. I knew it's old school DOS stuff. I unzipped the two files named disk1.zip and disk2.zip, into separate directories. Then I used WinImage (software) to create the "virtual floppy disks" which will be used in the virtual machine to install the LSS software. Inside of the "WinImage" program I made sure to name the floppy disks the correct "Volume Label" as the download said to do. Then I created a Virtual Machine (on my XP box), running DOS 6.22. This can be done with the software called "Virtual PC" or "Virtual Box", just search the internet for that software. I enabled the serial ports in the virtual machine and choose my physical COM1, which is a real serial port on my actual "HOST PC" that is running the virtual machine.. I then installed the software by "virtually inserting the virtual floppy disks". Install went ok with no glitches. Rebooted the virtual machine. That's pretty much all I did.  Software works ok, still learning how to use it. Thanks to you folks in this forum for the info to get me started on this. I noticed this thread on the way out the door and figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. :)