Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neildobson

GX IEC Developer

10 posts in this topic

We're designing a machine with a Q-series PLC with a CPU172N motion controller. It has been suggested by Mitsubishi that we consider using IEC developer instead of GX Developer (which we have). I've not looked at this software yet but I hear it has been developed in Europe and is quite different to standard GX Developer. Does anyone have any good (or bad) things to say about this software? Those with IEC Developer, do you use it exclusively for all Mitsi projects (even small FX applications) ? What about the (so-called) overhead, does this affect scan-time much? Does IEC Developer have ability to convert projects to/from GX Dev? What is the latest version and is there a demo available? Thanks in advance for info.

Hi Neil, I also use GX-Dev 8, but we bought month ago GX IEC. I have typed one simple program to FX1N. Is wasn't as quick to type code than when using GX-DEV. This new IEC ver. 6.10 is closer to GX-dev. For example PLC/network parameters are more or less equal. You do not need to use all IEC functions or type IEC-code. I made my fist project just like with GX-developer ladder editor. But in your case, I would also recommend IEC, because it it much much easier to use special operations, because of tested?! function blocks. I have not used IEC with Q, but it should be possible to download program/tasks/online editing while PLC is running. About the code... I think it is faster to use task/pou-structure instead of sub-programs (e.g.FX-series,Q00,Q01). Of course you can type smoother code with GX-DEV. Is IEC the right software? Probably not, but I head next generation programming tool is combination of GX-DEV and IEC-DEV... I decided to use both, for now. You can order a demo IEC free of charge. See www.mitsubishi-electric.com Tmu Edited by tmu

Like it or loathe it, there are probably more reasons for using IEC than there are for not using it. Once you are over the initial shock of the software, i.e. all the languages available and ways of structuring your code and all the annoying little features etc.. you will soon realise the benefits. The main benefits I get reward from are: Re-usability of code i.e. function block development - this can save hours in itself Data unit types Label programming - not having to have a list of M's and D's that you've used! Structuring the code in seperate POU's rather than longer ladder files. There are plenty more but won't go on any further.... Some people still prefer to use Medoc over GX Developer, and that's fine.....

Hi, Can anybody give me a GX or MEDOC software...

You can download a 15 day demo copy of GX-Developer at www.meau.com. The full software is commercially licensed and cannot be legally redistributed.

I have both versions: GX Developer and GX IEC. Sorry but i still prefer the GX Developer. It's more easy, more direct to philosophy of Mitsubishi plc. No problem of memory used with small project for FX. With Q serie is possible to create function blocks like IEC version, of course with some limitations. Comparing both versions, i think GX is more faster than IEC vesion expecially on projects debugging or during editing of small projects when you don't need to create functions blocks. Only on last 6.10 release of IEC a lot of problems are solved, but not all. In both case i think it depends which type of automations you have to develope bye Max

I loved DOS MEDOC to bits, and still use it now on a lot of existing PLCs (use MS Virtual PC for true DOS running inside XP) I hated GX Developer, mainly because the first versions seemed to have so many bugs / ommissions in them. Hated IEC Developer when I first learnt to use it (at someone else's) expense, but have now grown to recognise it's benefits and now use it on all new projects. Am still on V5.0, just about to upgrade to V6.0. There's a big learning curve to go up when moving to IEC ... but the pain is probably worth it ... in my humble opinion. There is now a utility available from Mitsubishi's German Web Site that enables DOS MEDOC programmes to be converted into graphical ladder logic programmes in IEC. Works fine, but there's a fair bit of tidying up to do afterwards to get it to look the way you want it to. I still programme faster in DOS MEDOC, but on larger programmes with lots of data handing, PID loops etc, IEC is probably better .... if only because you can structure the programme layout better. It also checks the programme pretty well when compiling. You pays your money ........ Regards from the UK

One thing to keep in mind is that the IEC directives haven't really had an effect in Japan yet. GX-IEC Developer came from Mitsubishi Europe. If you're writing code for a machine going into the Pacific Rim, you're going want to write it in GX-Developer. IEC is more of a European standard.

Hi maccxim, Can you me give me a gx software for free?

the only place where you might ask for free copy is the manufacturer and in this case that's Mitsubishi. if they give it to you for free that's ok as it's their product. please don't ask others for copies of commercial products.