Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
donnchadh k

Panel Amps

7 posts in this topic

Hi All I have been asked by my boss to work out the max amps on a new panel we are getting.I have all the info on the items in the panel.He wants to know so we can get a mains cable ran in.I do not know if I add all the max amps together or is there another way. Thank you for your time

You definately want to add all of the MAX amps for a total full load rating. That becomes the worst case scenario. Then add 10 to 50% for heat derating. Your local code should be consulted for the exact amount of derating based on length of the cable run.

The panel builder already did all those calculations. Why not call them up and ask for the information you require.

For panels with motor loads you typically take the motor with the largest current draw and multiply it by 125%, then add all of the other motor loads to that for a total (of motors only). Then add in other loads such as transformers, etc.

This may be oversimplifying but why not check the fuse rating on the main disconnect and add a 50% cushion?

That is great if you actually know the disconnect value.

Thanks why I made this spreadsheet. Takes all the guess work out of figuring the entire load on a cabinet. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?act=Downl...&CODE=02&id=132