Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest iknowsomeplc

Plc5 controlnet redundant system with pv1000

2 posts in this topic

I am configuring a PLC5 redundant sytem with a PV over a ControlNet network. Now I found that ControlNet Nodes for PLCs are not swapping during a changeover and hence my PV stop communicating during a switchover. I wonder that such a reliable system from AB lack the basic functionality and sure that AB guys would have done something for that! . Is there anybody out there to advice me?  Any comments from our hardcore AB guy (Ken Roach)?

I've never built a PLC-5C15 Hot Backup system oustide the lab, but what you say makes sense with that I know about the equipment.   The "old way" using 1785-BCM modules to broker communications on DH+ and RIO, you would actually set your PLC-5's for the same DH+ node, and the Primary would be N and the Secondary would be N+1. ControlLogix hot backup works that way, too;  you set the 1756-CNB modules for the same address, and when they first boot up they report a node conflict, and then the SRM redundancy modules configure them to deal with it. I'm not certain if the secondary takes the N+1 node or not in that case. So, how you you use a ControlNet-connected MMI with a Hot Backup Redundant PLC-5C15 system?   I know people have used the Enhanced PanelView 1400e's and used an expression to determine which node to read from depending on which is primary.    RSView can do "alternate OPC servers" where it can switch data sources when one fails. But the standard PanelView 1000 just sends a message to whichever node it's tag is addressed to.   The Standard PanelViews don't appear to support Hot Backup I/O connections, either, so that's not a workaround. These PanelView Standard terminals might just not be appropriate for the application.