Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghettofreeryder

Allen Bradley Programming

18 posts in this topic

The laptop i am ordering doesnt have a serials port. Has anyone tryed to program a allenbradley/ge fanuc plc with a usb to serial adapter, then using the appropriate cable? I will also have to program some quickpanels and pnelviews, so if anyone has some info, thatd be great

Take a look here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.ph...0&highlight=usb Hope this Helps. Bob O

Go to www.ab.com -> support -> knowledgbases and enter "USB" as your search criteria. It will return references to dozens of technotes on how to use USB adaptors with various products. Edited by Alaric

I'm using (testing) a USB to Serial Adapter (prolific) which cost me about £10 It works great for about 10 mins - connected to an SLC5/04 through the serial port (Ch.0) and then kicks me off line and can't establish a connection for more than 10 seconds. I haven't yet found out why but I don't think is the adapter, I think it's more to do with Win XP (?) P.S. Win XP SP2

Most Laptop or Notebook manfacturers also offer a device called a 'port replicator'. This device is similar to a docking station but smaller. The port replicator will give you your needed serial port. See this article They are small enough to carry in a laptop case. SK

Why not just buy a laptop with a serial port? They're not that hard to find. Think of the time, hassle and add-on bits of hardware you'll save.

I've been using a cheap Belkin adapter for almost two years with XP Pro, a Toshiba laptop, and RSLogix 500 / 5000. No problems. I've also used it with Panelviews, TCP HMI's, and DL40's. It's getting harder to find laptops with serial or parallel ports. Also, hard to get floppy drives which makes it difficult to install AB copy protection. USB floppies work though.

I share my floppy disk drive on my desktop, then attach my laptop to the network and map the desktop floppy as drive Z and transfer that way. Also there are some technotes on how to use a USB flash drive to transfer the activations in the AB online knowledgbase. You need to download a new transfer utility, the normal EVMOVE wont work but there is a version that will. Check here http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...03?OpenDocument Edited by Alaric

It looks like I owe you a pint! I haven't tested it yet but by Jove I think you've got it! JAKE

take a look at quantech they mke a pcmcia card that has worked great for me. thanks jim cav

I remember reading an A-B technote that states specifically that a USB to serial converter WILL NOT WORK, NO WAY, NO HOW, with a PIC. Now I'm surprised because you'd think some whiz-bang programmer could come up with a driver that would let it work, but I suppose it is not in A-B's best interests to put resources there, especially since they have a nice new USB-DH485 module for sale :)

The incompatiblity problem with the PIC is not a software problem, it is a hardware problem. The PIC conformed rigidly to the old RS-232 harware standards, something that computer manufacturers have not done, especially with the advent of power miserly laptops, 3-1/2 volt chips, and the advent of USB. No amount of software would have corrected the problem. To make a specialized adaptor would have been more work, required a second external power supply, and probably would have cost more, than just coming up with the USB-DH485 to replace the entire PIC.

rockwell now sell a 1747UIC which is a usb to serial DF1-RS232 and DH 485 converter. It is cheaper than the old pic and works a treat. It comes with both RJ45 DH485 and 9-pin serial plugs. You need a 1747c13 cable to connect to a RJ45 DH485 PLC , or order a 1747UICC13 which comes with this cable. Check out the link. http://mms.rockwellautomation.com/idc/grou...pp017_-en-e.pdf

I have used a USB to serial adapter for DF1 communications. This one. http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku....pe=1&Sku=517161

Try BELKIN N10117 USB-SERIAL ADAPTER I HAD USED IT WIYHOUT PROBLEM, THE COST ABOUT U$35.00. YOU CAN GET IT AT COMPUTER STRORE

I've used the Belkin and Tripp Lite USB to Serial adapters a lot for DF1 communications. Fair warning though, they did not work for quickpanels! I had to buy a PCMCIA (Quatech worked for me) serial adapter. Edited by Wordman

Yeah, i need the adapter to work for programs such as PCIS or LM90, which i dont think these usb adapters do. Can anyone recommend a new powerful laptop with a serial port?

Last year I bought an ASUS L5400G: 3.2GHz P4, 80GB HD, 512MB ram, real serial port, built-in FDD, CD/DVD writer,parallel port, 4xUSB ports, 2x PCMCIA slots, 1394, IR, yadda, yadda. Given the pace of change, I have no idea if this model is still being sold.