Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baldyspate

Basics of communication protocols?

2 posts in this topic

Hi: Please excuse the length of this. Where to start? That question kind of somes it up. I'm looking to acquire some kind of basic knowledge of the communication protocols that I find in reference to AB plcs. I'm not so much looking to become adept at it as be able to understand what I read in the manuals. Those manuals that I've found so far assume knowledge and vocabulary that I haven't acquired yet. I'm boning up on IP and there are enough links to info on that to keep me happy, but when I'm trying to sort out DF1, Modbus, DeviceNet, etc., I find myself a little too ignorant to measure my own ignorance or where to find what I want to know about a specific technical item. Are there any "The Basics of..." re: Allen-Bradley device communictions out there? Any suggestions on how a self learner would proceed? I'm working through the automated processes in our plant and gradually making changes as I and/or the operators/supervisors see fit to reduce the time to product volume ratio. (though not truly increase production). I've learned bunches about programming plcs and applying that to the floor in the last few months, but am starting to see where operator interfaces and networking the plcs would help in applying daily or hourly front office decisions to the floor with much less disruption. The plant is networked for admin purposes and seems to have far more capacity than is being utilised... I'll just stop there. Baldy

B & B Electronics has some on-line help that you might find useful: http://www.bb-elec.com/ They've got some pretty good books too: http://www.bb-elec.com/book_chart.asp