Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Robert Mehlman

Erase Quantum Flash/EEPROM

4 posts in this topic

VERY URGENT ! PLEASE HELP !! I want to get rid of the contents of the flash/EEPROM memory of a Quantum 534. It contents a very old program. Booting the PLC with that program can be bad. Do the PLC load the program from the flash every powerdown or only powerdown plus low battery? I did it this way : 1. Backup of controller (PLC to FILE) 2. Loaded a new Flash executive. After that the controller is empty. 3. Reloaded the program from the computer to the controller. (FILE TO PLC) All 3 actions with Modsoft. Was this the correct way ? Does FILE TO PLC reload the Flash/EEPROM ? Maybe FILE TO PLC is loading the Flash/EEPROM with the old program that was stored in it before backup the PLC ? Is there a other way to erase the Flash/EEPROM memory of a quantum 534 with MODSOFT ? Please Help Regards, Robert rob_m@walla.co.il

Tranferring File to PLC moves the program on your computer into the processor. The old program will be over-written. You didn't have to go as far as to flash the controller, simply downloading the new program would have worked. That PLC has no EEPROM memory, it's all battery backed RAM anyways. Simply pulling the battery and powering off for a few minutes would have erased it and put the processor in Dim Awareness.

Thanks for answering Phil, Sorry,I didnt wite that the Quantum is a new 534 14A. My Quantum has a flash memory for saving the ladder logic. I have read it in the manual. Once I did save the logic to this flash with modsoft with menu : PLC-Ops --> Save to flash/EEPROM. The PLC did responce like there is this kind of memory. There was or maybe STILL IS an old ladder logic in this flash. One time I got a old ladder logic in the RAM and I think it came from that flash memory. The exact model of my PLC is Quantum : 140 CPU 534 14A Please anwer again. I am afraid thet the flash memory will load into RAM again. Regards, Robert Mehlman

Well for one thing, if you're using such a new processor, why such old software??? I know Modicon's ProWORX 32 is crap, but Fastrak Softworks offers a nice 32 bit Windows package for programming Modicon PLCs. It's nowhere near as high priced as the Modicon software either. At a minimum you need Modsoft 2.6. All Modicon Quantum programs are stored in battery backed RAM. The flash RAM in a Quantum processor is for storing the system executive (operating system). There is no flash RAM backup of PLC program. The writing to memory card options are for the Compact PLC that has a memory card option. This is not used with the Quantum.