Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Drew

HELP with CS1 PLC

4 posts in this topic

I've posted a few things on the PLC.net, as we have a plant with both Omron and AB. Most of the response has been about AB's ControlLogix and how it is not compatible with itself -- software and hardware revs have to always match up. So if I buy a new processor, I have to upgrade the software or downgrade the firmware -- it seems like a never ending vicious circle. It sounds like if I specify AB's CL, then I have to purchase new software also. Yesterday, I was told that the new Omron CS1 uses the same hardware and software as the earlier C200 series that we have in our plant. Is this true? Could someone explain to me what I would need if on my next equipment I tell my OEM to use Omron's CS1. (I already have C200s in my plant -- using CX-Programmer v3.0) Thanks!

I agree with the Controllogix, lots of potential but my wife was in less pain giving birth than I was trying to get the first network Clgx running. To be fair, there were 7 other integrators on site and no one was doing any project management - but I digress. You are correct, CX-Programmer V3 can progam CSx series PLC's from Omron. Also the SRM1, CqM1, C200H, CV100, CV500, C1000H etc. They are pretty good about keeping product compatability intact. We like the CS1 because we do a lot of BCR projects and like having 8 or 9 serial ports to play with.

Regarding C200H and CS1 Hardware: The CS1 backplane carries both the C200H I/O Bus connectors and the CS1 style I/O Bus connectors. If you had to changeover a C200H installation to a CS1 upgrade, the only items that you would need new are the CPU, backplane and power supply. If you are using C200HE, HG or HX, you can also use the same power supply. Regarding C200H and CS1 programs: CX Programmer Version 1.2, 2.x and 3.x all provide C200H program conversion to CS1 programs. BTW, Nick, who are you working for now?

I have just replied to you Drew on the PLCS site. The only thing I would suggest with the CS1 is that if you are going to use Device Net, use the CS1 Device Net card. It can be programmed much easier than the old C200HE card. Also suggested there that you have a long look at the CJ1