Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aoliveira

slc 100/150 interface

8 posts in this topic

I have to change timing on a machine using the slc 10. I have a new dell laptop and the slc 100/150 software and the communication cable. When I run the slc 100 software it tells me it can't find com port 1. My laptop doesn't have any com ports only usb ports. So when I try to link up with the plc it says it can not communicate. I even bought a usb adapter to connect to the slc 100 communication cable. I really need to change this timer. Does any one know how to link up my laptop to the plc?

Not only do you need the SLC software, but you need RSlinx as well. The PLC only talks to RSlinks. Ffrom Links you can then go to the RSlogix software

... and RSLinx is a pain in the neck! (well, in my opinion anyway)

Find an old laptop - and I mean OLD. One that can execute the DOS program and has a serial port. Load the SLC100/150 software on it and, as long as you will have these PLC around, keep this laptop just for those units. The USB adapter provides a simulated port, fine enough for those programs which interface just through windows calls but not for these older programs that want to get down into the registers of the actual communication chip. As mentioned in the PLCS forum, the adapter may need power which the USB adapter simply can't provide. Think OLD.

Yes, it's an old DOS program. You don't need RSLinx. Like b_carlton says, find an old laptop with a serial port or even a pc if you can drag it down to the machine and boot into DOS.

This software has to run in dos , will work in windows 95 when you boot up in dos mode . And you will need a special interface Adapter for your PC .

Uhhh.... what SLC 100 software are YOU using? RsLogix100? PCIS uses its own built-in real mode driver. It is a DOS app that is way too old to know or care about Linx. There is also an A.I. series software package for the 100/150 (anyone got it?), but I am certain it doesn't care about Linx as well. The solution to the original poster's problem has already been mentioned by others, forget about using your new serially-challenged notebook. Get another one that has a serial port and a floppy drive. (You didn't mention anything about floppy drives in your post but unfortunately they are an endangered species now, too) Put Windows 95 or 98 on it. The newer versions of windows don't have a real DOS shell, just an emulator. You want to boot up in straight DOS to run these programs. Just as an example, I picked up a toshiba satellite 115 for $7 on ebay last week. This would be ideal for programming. (I didn't need another notebook but the price was right and I had bought some PLC stuff from the guy anyway, so shipping was covered!)

For the ICOM software, a master floppy disk is also needed. Without the ability to activate the software, it is useless.