Shankar Rao

Micrologix 1400 PLC, Panel View C400

15 posts in this topic

Dear Experts

We have a machine with Allen Bradley Micrologix 1400 PLC, Panel View C400

Request to share communicating software and cable details please 

Regards

The ML1400 uses RSLogix 500. There are a number of versions. "Micro" will work. I'm not sure if Starter or Developer is what you need. Either way, it's licensed software that you'll need to buy through your local Rockwell distributor.
The PanelView Component C400 can be programmed in Connected Components Workbench, which is free software. At least the earlier PV Component models could also be programmed via web interface by connecting to their network and typing their IP address into your browser.

Both support Ethernet, so you just need a network cable.

1 person likes this

Can u please share  "'Connected Components Workbench  software'" as I could not find in the forum please

You need to download it from the Rockwell website, it is easier to Google it then go to the download link.

Go to their website.
Click "Downloads"
Click "Downloads by Product"
In the "search..." window, type "Connected Components Workbench" and hit "Enter"
In the results list, select the first entry, (not Dev Ed or Trend). A popup will appear where you choose your version. They tend to release new versions pretty regularly, so I'm still at v12. As of today, the latest is v21.01. I don't know if there's a reason to choose an older version. Click the version you want and it'll show up in the window to the right.
Click the "DOWNLOADS" button. Check the box "Show Files" and an Available Downloads box will pop up. Select the file and click the download cart button, then "Download Now". After accepting the license, it will download a stub file with a long random string. Save that file and then run it. Their download manager will open and start downloading the file. At this point, all you do is wait and hope your internet connection is strong...

Thank you so much for amazing clarity. Please refer to attached jpg. Hope could download it successfully and should be able to communicate thro LAN port? Kindly confirm

Connected Components workbench.jpeg

You have to identify the IP address, but CCW should be able to upload, edit, and download the program in the C400.

edit: *should*...as long as the machine builder didn't lock it down somehow. And, honestly, I've never used a C400 with CCW, so I am making an assumption that it can upload the file from the HMI.

Edited by Joe E.

I believe the PanelView 800 (programmed from CCW) is supposed to be a direct replacement for the PanelView Component generation. Just to be sure, I looked up the C400 PanelView manual:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711c-um001_-en-p.pdf

Appendix D says that you should be able to use CCW with this terminal, assuming that (as @Joe E.said) whoever developed the code didn't lock you out of it. However, the manual also says that if you're using CCW for a PanelView C you can only transfer the program using a USB flash or SD card.

PanelView C is an older system and the manual is dated 2014, so if you find that CCW V21 (newest version) has a trick not available when this manual was published, I'd like to hear about it, please.

I remember the earliest PVCs being programmed via web browser only, not CCW. As I recall, we were at CCW version 2 or something. It was really early on and they were pushing the PV Component pretty hard so we ordered a couple as a trial and ended up never using them in a machine. The main deal breaker for us was that you couldn't make an offline backup of the program with the web browser, but they were "talking about it".

I wonder if they now support connecting over Ethernet with a web browser and saving an offline file that can be imported into CCW....

By the way, my memory may be faulty on that. It was over 10 years ago and I don't have notes on our findings any more.

1 person likes this

Thanks for your responses please

Have downloaded V12.0 -connected USB to ethernet cable between laptop and C400, created new project, selected 2711C-T4T, clicked on Upload, could not proceed

further as connected  USB to ethernet interface was not found under "connection browser", also tried by connecting to mini USB port of C400 ie cable USB- mini ethernet, same issue

Tried above with downloaded version of V20.0 but same issue

Hope attached jpg is showing relevant information

Please guide on how to proceed as connected USB to ethernet cable is fine and works with Mitsubishi PLC etc

C400.jpeg

The manual says that if you're using CCW for a PanelView C you can only transfer the program using a USB flash or SD card.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711c-um001_-en-p.pdf

Also, you wrote that you created a new project but that you are trying to upload. In Rockwell / Allen Bradley, "Upload" is moving the project from the device (controller, PanelView, PowerFlex drive, etc) to the laptop. "Download" is moving the project from the laptop to the device. Hope I'm not coming off as condescending but want to make sure we're talking about the same thing, using the same terms. 

Thank you so much for you feedback wrt USB flash or SD card.

I was actually trying to mention that only after creating new project say in the name of machine under discussion, I could find options like upload/download etc, yes I am aware about upload/download functions as these are common for other PLCs like Siemens, Mitsubishi as well only in case of Fanuc it is other way round that means upload means from PG/laptop to CNC/PLC, and vice versa in case of  download, hope I am correct in saying so

@Shankar Rao I hate bringing that up but every once in a while you across someone who reverses those definitions and when that happens, the whole conversation can go sideways, lol. Like telling the student pilot to raise the gear before landing the plane.

Hopefully you'll be able to get you project transferred. Let us know!

Have you tried to connect to the C400 with a web browser? While connected to its network port and with your PC on the same subnet, just type the C400's IP address into your browser's address bar.