Sealyons

Help with I/O wire installation for FX5UC PLC ...

5 posts in this topic

I have a Mitsubishi FX5UC-32MR/DS-TS PLC and seem to be having difficulty inserting ferruled wires into the I/O connectors. I'm using 18g wire with associated ferrules but when I press on the cage clamps and insert the ferrule it doesn't catch. I've read through the instructions and it appears the wire cross section is fine and the clamps are designed to take ferrules but I can't get it to catch. It doesn't appear to provide info on the specs of for the ferrules. Is there some trick that I'm not seeing? Appreciate any help. Thanks. 

On page 92/93 it says size awg23 to awg19 for insulate ferrules and awg23 to awg16 for non-insulated ferrules.  You're not using insulated ferrules on awg18 are you?

https://www.mitsubishifa.co.th/files/dl/jy997d61401h_FX5UC(Hardware).pdf

And if you happen to be using the European Style connectors then its awg22 to awg20 sizes.

Yes, I finally found the wire gauge info on page 93. I was attempting to use 18awg wire with insulated ferrules. Obviously a bad choice. Switched to non-insulating ferrules and all is good. Appreciate the reply. Thanks.

In field conditions, you can easily remove the sleeve insulation with cutting pliers, being careful not to break the "trumpet".
The other option is to add some solder to the stripped wire.
Both work.

Cutting.thumb.jpg.196bfe0ab2843f548a25b1Result.thumb.jpg.3d6b1c8c69d013f4ed8b000

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Sealyons said:

Yes, I finally found the wire gauge info on page 93. I was attempting to use 18awg wire with insulated ferrules. Obviously a bad choice. Switched to non-insulating ferrules and all is good. Appreciate the reply. Thanks.

Glad you found your answer and shared for others to learn as well.

1 person likes this