Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
junkyardgary

OLD School DH+ pass through question

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm on site with some old AB hardware. I have a DH+ loop with several panelviews 300's, 1000's. Customer wants me to modify one of the PV 1000 HMI's and I cannot open the panel that the screen sits in. It's an explosion proof room, and the system will shut down if I depressurize the enclosure. I do have a saved copy of the PV program to work on off-line. 

I do have access to the other PV's and the main PLC, a 5/03 with DH+. There are no AIC modules in the loop. I have the proper serial and round port A-B cables. Can I upload/download to one of the PV's through the SLC processor? I see there are some pass through instruction dealing with serial connection between the PLC and the Panelview. But this is using DH+ between the PLC and Panelview, so the instructions don't work as written. 

Rockwell document 2711-um014-en-p.pdf, page 202 has some pass through instructions. 

Uhm, SLC 5/03 is a DH485 processor, not DH+.  The SLC 5/04 is DH+.

Aside from that, I don't recall ever going through a SLC's Channel0 to get to a device on the bus.  If you have access to the bus itself, and you have the right interface kit, and you know for sure all of the addresses on the wire, you should be able to do it that way.

It's been a while since I worked with a DH+ HMI (or even PanelBuilder 32 for that matter...), but if you can see it in RSLinx, you should be able to download to it. And if you have access to the DH+ network, you should be able to see it in RSLinx. You said you have the round port AB cable...is that the 1784-U2DHP module? It's a USB to DH+ converter. If so, it can plug into the round Mini-DIN DH+ port on the SLC 5/04 (as pturmel said, the 5/03 has DH485 with an RJ45 connector, only the 5/04 had DH+) without disrupting the DH+ network at all, as long as  you don't introduce an address conflict. On the 5/04, the round mini-DIN and the 3-pin phoenix-style connector are just different hardware connections to the same DH+ port.

If you have a cable that has the mini-DIN on one end and a 9-pin d-sub connector on the other, that won't work. What you have is almost certainly a serial cable designed to talk to MicroLogix PLCs. If you don't have a 1784-U2DHP,  you'll need some other hardware to get to the DH+ network. If you happen to have the right ControlLogix hardware laying around collecting dust, you can assemble a chassis, power supply, Ethernet module, and a 1756-DHRIO module. That will definitely work as a pass-through for RSLinx to see the DH+ devices. Or, you can use a ProSoft gateway. If I didn't have any of that on hand already, I would probably try one of these before either of those:
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1784-u2dhp-alternative-usb-to-data-highway-plus-dh-anc-120e/
(No specific endorsement for that, but everything else I've bought from them has worked beautifully).

Incidentally, that note on page 202 of the manual refers to reaching an RS232/DH485 HMI via passing through the DH+ port on a SLC 5/04. In other words, you connect your PC to the DH+ network and pass through the SLC to get to the RS232/DH485 HMI. If you look at page 189, it says you can use the DH+ port to (among other things) transfer applications over the DH+ link from a computer with a DH+ connection. It doesn't say anything about getting to the HMI's DH+ connection via the RS232 port of the SLC, but it might work. It's worth a try, at least, if you have access to the 5/04's RS232 port.

1 person likes this

If you have an SLC-5/04 (not an SLC-5/03) controller with a free serial port that's still set up for good old DF1 Full Duplex, it is relatively straightforward to enable DF1/DH+ Passthrough and perform upload/download to PanelView Standard terminals on DH+ via a physical connection to the RS-232 Channel 0 serial port.

The only two important steps are enabling DH+ Passthrough in the Status file of the SLC-5/04 (S:34/0 and S:34/5 = 1), and changing the Device Type in the RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver from point-to-point to "KF2/KE".

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Ken Roach said:

enabling DH+ Passthrough in the Status file of the SLC-5/04 (S:34/0 and S:34/5 = 1

Today I Learned that this is possible.(:

The OP's post said he has several panelviews 300's. Panel view 300's do not support DH+.

If the OP has a SLC5/03 then see pdf for how to configure it's serial port for passthru DF1 to DH485

SLCDF1toDH485PassThru.pdf

1 person likes this