bagged2drag

smc2 ESI and IODD files

5 posts in this topic

I come from an AB background. My current job has a lot of Omron devices. We have a couple systems with NX102's with numerous IO link devices attached (IFM 1332, and some IO link sensors). I have the backup files from the integrator (.smc2 files). If I import the .smc2 files into Sysmac Studio and open the projects, will I need to manually add any of the .esi and IODD files to the project, or will they be loaded in automatically from the backup? The integrator alluded I will need to manually load the IODD files, but the IFM 1332 devices, for instance, appear to be loaded ok.  It appears the files may be present, but I want to be sure prior to trying to update the HMI's, as downtime needs to be considered. 

Also, I have some banner sensors that are IO link. if I do need to add the IODD files for those devices, where do I add them? I assume these are IO slave devices? I don't see any configuration for them in the project, but again, the integrator alluded to the fact I will need to load these IODD files.

Thanks,

ESI files transfer with the project, EDS and IODD files do not. The IODD files aren't relevant in this case since you are using the IFM master. Your PLC just sees a block of data coming back, it doesn't care what the bits and bytes are. You would need to add them with the IFM software I assume.

Edited by photovoltaic
1 person likes this

Would I simply be able to make modifications to the program and download the project to the HMI/PLC (whichever is applicable) then with no adverse effects?  

-Kris

In theory yes. However what I would do instead is pull the current program off the PLC, compare it with your backup, and then make modifications. There may be some important changes to the PLC that aren't on your backup.

1 person likes this

Thank you.  I verified current programs match (change management is strictly controlled where I am), so I will proceed with my changes.  I appreciate the information.

1 person likes this