Chris Elston

5069-OB16 Output Card - All Outputs Flashing

3 posts in this topic

I got a new one I have not seen. I have a brand new 5069-OB16 Output card installed in a Compact Logix 5380. All of the LEDs are flashing RED. It's been that way out of the box. Wiring has been verified, modules shows running, there are no faults, major or minor. 

Anyone seen that before? It acts like all the outputs are overloaded but there are no errors. All of the LEDS are flashing together in sync about a .5 second duty flash.

The user manual says it's a no load or short circuit condition. Or, if it's a /B module, a field power loss.

I think it's really weird to flash red on a no load condition...especially for unused output points. That seems strange to me...

Edited by Joe E.

The 5069s are persnickety and don't work like any other IO cards in the Logix family. In addition to what @Joe E.mentioned about nuisance output diagnostics (fixed by unchecking "Enable No Load Diagnostics" in the card properties), in my experience you also have to manually turn off any channels you're not using on analog input cards or you're likely to get fault lights from lack of input data. I've found the 5069 IO manual to be decidedly lacking on these kinds of details and have to had to learn to properly configure these cards by digging around in the cards' properties & tags until I wrestle and cuss it into working the way I want. If you're not enjoying the digital 5069 configurations, just wait til you get to an analog.