Ron_S

Old FX series

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of old FXnn plc's are starting to fail?

By old, I think 20 - 25 years old.

It's just that in the last 12 months, I have had to attend about 10 FX plc's with the red error light and unrecoverable programs.

Only one FX (you know, one of those big square things) was a flat battery that had never been changed. The rest were battery-less models.

That is, apart from one FX2n - but the battery was fully charged on that one.

Not only was it impossible to recover the program - they would not accept a program or allow a fault diagnosis.

Same fault across different industries.

Maybe take it as a reminder to back-up aging FX models. They are coming to the end of their life cycle.

Haven't noticed anything but 20-25 years is not so bad. Strange that you have 10 at the same time though.

Do you have extreme high temperatures ?

No high temperatures or extremes of anything. A nice bedding company, a Printers, a cosmetic bottle-filling station and so on.

Red error light flashing.

I could get partial code out of some but with missing logic and yellow pages but none would allow programming or a new one to be downloaded.

I even opened some PLC's to see if there was anything in common but they all looked perfect inside.

I have one of them here on my desk - an FX1n 40mr. It looks brand new but even after a few weeks of sitting there it has the same fault and starts to communicate, then stops.

I agree, 20 - 25 years is a good run but it's causing chaos with factories that don't back-up.a

15 minutes ago, Ron_S said:

No high temperatures or extremes of anything. A nice bedding company, a Printers, a cosmetic bottle-filling station and so on.

Red error light flashing.

I could get partial code out of some but with missing logic and yellow pages but none would allow programming or a new one to be downloaded.

I even opened some PLC's to see if there was anything in common but they all looked perfect inside.

I have one of them here on my desk - an FX1n 40mr. It looks brand new but even after a few weeks of sitting there it has the same fault and starts to communicate, then stops.

I agree, 20 - 25 years is a good run but it's causing chaos with factories that don't back-up.a

No Bak-ups is the worst !!!!

The yellow code usually means it's code that can't be converted to ladder in GX Developer/Works 2.

Might have been programmed in IL or with Melsec medoc dos. But you can see the complete code in IL

I checked that and the list was missing too or filled with NOP's

I couldn't clear the memory or anything.