Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ABlearner

Encoder position with vfd

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys. 

I have a question, i have a mistubishi fr-a800 vfd with an encoder option card. On the motor we have an encoder. 

I can read back the speed with the plc with analog signal. But can i use also for, tracking the distance ? Can i set anyhow the inverter lets say after one round on the encder send some digital signal to the plc. Is there any chance to set it ? 

Lets say this is a conveyor, in this case its better if i put an encoder/counter on the conveyor and it will be directly connected to the plc. 

Thanks ahead

The model option card inastalled for the encoder is?

Encoder outputs differential or open collector?

Edited by glavanov

Thanks for the feedback. 

The encoder is sew ES7C/AA.

TTL/HTL encoder.

So actually none of them. Its a push pull output encoder.

The option card type is FR A8AP. 

So if i can get position then how ? I already use the inverter to read the speed of the motor. Thanks ahead. 

With this option card you can't use the encoder with another device/PLC.

If the butget allows you can switch to FR-A8AL.

This card have outputs, that cab be connected to other devices and use A, B and Z pulses from the encoder.

In this case is important what  is the PLC inputs mode (sinc or source).

section 8 from here: https://dl.mitsubishielectric.com/dl/fa/document/manual/inv/ib0600597eng/ib0600597engc.pdf

Other options are to use the A800 PLC function to monitor and compare motor current position and use one or more invetrer digital ouputs for signal to the PLC: https://www.allied-automation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/MITSUBISHI_FR-A800-PLC-FUNCTION-PROGRAMMING-MANUAL.pdf

or monitor it over CC-link IE Field BAsic network if it's available with your inverter and PLC...